Boundary Peak, NV late May

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Great American Southwest. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Southwest US Climbing Partners section.
swankman07

Boundary Peak, NV late May

by swankman07 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:51 pm

I get a few free days before and after a conference in Vegas in late May. Thinking about taking a shot at Boundary Peak either the weekend of May 18th or of May 25th. From past years' reports, looks like Boundary and Montgomery are often still snow and ice covered around then, but some years may vary. Anyone know what how the White Mountains are looking this year?

MoapaPk

Re: Boundary Peak, NV late May

by MoapaPk » Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:59 am

So far, this is a low-snow year. Last year was also low-snow, and there were ascents the first week in May that reported "not much snow left." The Barcroft webcam is down, else that would be a good resource.

The following user would like to thank MoapaPk for this post
swankman07

no avatar
splattski

by splattski » Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:29 am

IIRC, 2005 was a dry winter with a wet spring. We did Boundary on May 20 and I'd guess the remaining snow made it easier. On the return, we got in a great butt glissade.
Trip Report:
http://www.splattski.com/2005/boundary/index.html

The following user would like to thank splattski for this post
swankman07

Greg Enright

by Greg Enright » Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:18 am

The Whites have been super dry this winter. Sometimes it looks like all the snow is blown away. There was a good little snowstorm up there the last couple days, though, and Montgomery has a nice coat of new snow. It won't take long to melt away, so I would guess it will be snow free by May.

The following user would like to thank Greg Enright for this post
swankman07

swankman07

by swankman07 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:35 pm

I'd read the Sierras snowpack was about 50% below normal somewhere so figured the Whites may be the same. I'm probably gonna go for it. The microspikes or crampons/ice axe may have to come along just in case.

Looks like everything from WMRC is down right now.

Good info y'all. Thanks!

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:21 pm

splattski wrote:IIRC, 2005 was a dry winter with a wet spring. We did Boundary on May 20 and I'd guess the remaining snow made it easier. On the return, we got in a great butt glissade.
Trip Report:
http://www.splattski.com/2005/boundary/index.html

2005 was a very wet year, through early spring, for the Sierra, Whites, and Mountains in NV. My friends went to Boundary and Montgomery very late May, and it was a true snow climb. Charleston NV was a snow climb by most routes until July. Telescope Peak had large slippery drifts along much of the Mahogany route on Memorial Day.

swankman07

by swankman07 » Mon May 19, 2014 9:41 pm

Bump from a year ago. Same situation. Have a last minute opportunity to go to Nevada again this weekend and thinking about attempting Boundary.

Anyone have any info on conditions in the White Mountains, specifically Boundary Peak?

jfrishmanIII

by jfrishmanIII » Tue May 20, 2014 5:43 am

I drove around the north end of the Whites about a week ago. On that Saturday, you would have crossed some snow high up on the ridges, but not too much. It was a hot week since then, two days ago the Whites had barely any snow visible from Bishop. But we may get a little shot of precip in the next couple days. It's also been very consistently windy around here lately.

Hope that helps a little!

Bubba Suess

by Bubba Suess » Tue May 20, 2014 5:53 pm

jfrishmanIII wrote:I drove around the north end of the Whites about a week ago. On that Saturday, you would have crossed some snow high up on the ridges, but not too much. It was a hot week since then, two days ago the Whites had barely any snow visible from Bishop. But we may get a little shot of precip in the next couple days. It's also been very consistently windy around here lately.

Hope that helps a little!

Jackson, I saw you posted something in here and I was getting my hopes up for some New Mexico pictures or something. I keep forgetting how close to Nevada you are!

Return to Southwest (AZ, NM, NV, TX)