High Sierra Lakes Ice-out

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
no avatar
skyehawk

Re: High Sierra Lakes Ice-out

by skyehawk » Thu May 29, 2014 6:44 pm

How does the snow / ice conditions on the west side of the tahoe basin compare to this time last year? Specifically southwest areas near desolation. Thanks.

colinr

by colinr » Thu May 29, 2014 10:11 pm

WillyTheDog wrote:Got back from Emigrant Wilderness again. Lake are all clear up to ~8700 feet if any one cares.(gem, deer, piute, jewelry) Only patches of snow on the ground. Mosquitos galore.

Id like to make a special shout out to whoever stole my sierra nevada beers that i left cooling in the creek. twat.

Beer thieves!? That's worse than mosquitos!

I still haven't been to the lower areas of Emigrant, but I did take my dogs up to Leavitt Peak along the PCT from Sonora Pass on 5/25. I'm not sure if they are known for fishing, but camping ought to be good soon at Latopie (10,389), Koenig (9,588), and Leavitt (9,556). The lower two (left of center) were thawing. There weren't any skeeters up near frozen Latopie Lake or at Sonora Pass.

Alpenglow

by Alpenglow » Fri May 30, 2014 12:50 am

ElGreco wrote:Red Lake by Split Mtn was almost entirely melted out by May23. Further north, driving through Tuolumne, lakes looked more solid (e.g. Tioga lake) but still broken up enough to draw water.

How are the Road conditions up to the Red Lake TH El Greco? I know it can vary from year to year.

no avatar
fogey

by fogey » Sun Jun 01, 2014 6:58 am

Re Desolation/Echo Lakes conditions, the lakes were completely clear Tuesday (5/27), the boat taxi was running, the trail to Haypress from Upper Echo was clear of snow for the first mile-and-a-half (to the second Triangle Lake junction), mostly snow from there to the high point but well traveled by weekend hikers. Conditions after that were a mix of snow, rock, dirt and, below the Aloha dam, ponds in low spots--the water hazards in particular were frustrating for travel on either foot or skis.

Lake Aloha was mostly melted off. Lake of the Woods was melting but not melted; the slopes east and west above Lake of the Woods were clear of snow except for scattered patches. Pyramid Peak still had continuous, skiable snow but lots of rock showing and probably would be hikable without inordinate trouble for those willing to hike in snow.

If I get time I will put up a few pictures.

The following user would like to thank fogey for this post
skyehawk

no avatar
skyehawk

by skyehawk » Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:40 pm

Pictures would be great. But don't if it would be troublesome.

no avatar
fogey

by fogey » Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:31 pm

A few pictures:

Haypress Memorial Day--continuous snow coverage with bare spots:

Lake Aloha Tuesday:

Typical mixture of rock, snow and water between Aloha and Desolation Lake, looking toward Pyramid Peak (Memorial Day afternoon):

Crystal Range (dawn Tuesday):

I expect there is a good deal less snow now than there was then.

no avatar
skyehawk

by skyehawk » Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:25 pm

Lake Aloha June 20th, 2013. Should it be something like this on June 20th of this year?

/Users/SKYE/Dropbox/DSC00315.jpg

Previous

Return to California