Footwear for Hiking in the Narrows

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the great state of Utah, from the alpine peaks to the desert slots. Please post partners requests and trip plans here or in the Utah Climbing Partners section.
JBR1969

Footwear for Hiking in the Narrows

by JBR1969 » Sun Jun 08, 2014 12:17 am

Taking my sons out to Zion NP in a couple of weeks. We want to hike in the Narrows. I'm sure some parts will still require wading. I want us to be comfortable. What's the best type of footwear for this activity?

TIA

Stu Brandel

Re: Footwear for Hiking in the Narrows

by Stu Brandel » Sun Jun 08, 2014 2:14 pm

It depends how far you are going. If you are hiking the narrows from the south-end (where the 1 mile paved trail ends) and your turnaround point is optional, I think you could get away with anything. If you are doing the 16 mile full length Narrows from the Chamberlain Ranch, I recommend a hiking shoe with good ankle support that you won't mind getting immersed for about half the trip. I have day-hiked this trip 3 times (May, September and October) and the 'algae covered bowling balls' that the river covers for half the route have made me appreciate good ankle support and a hiking staff or trekking poles. But perhaps the river is lower when you will be going. Also, if you are camping overnight half way, the overall wear and tear will be less.

There is a lot of variation in what people recommend, but I recommend the above despite the fact that it is hard on the shoe, because it is a lot easier on the feet and knees (I was thirty years old when I first did it, and 50 when I last did it, and the toll on my knees this last time makes me think I will not do it again).

Either way you go, it is a hike for the ages, and you will enjoy it immensely.

The following user would like to thank Stu Brandel for this post
JBR1969

Bob Sihler
Forum Moderator

by Bob Sihler » Sun Jun 08, 2014 5:18 pm

For a day trip from the bottom, I recommend something like a pair of Keens.

I did it in early July once and had to swim in a couple spots. Just so you know. That year saw a lot of May snow, though.
"Alcohol is like love. The first kiss is magic, the second is intimate, the third is routine. After that you take the girl's clothes off."

--Terry Lennox, The Long Goodbye (Raymond Chandler)

The following user would like to thank Bob Sihler for this post
JBR1969

Kai

by Kai » Sun Jun 08, 2014 10:11 pm

5.10 makes a whole line of amphibious shoes.

https://shopfiveten.com/C-35/Amphibious

A number of outfitters around Zion rent them.

http://www.zionadventures.com/zion-narr ... equipment/

The following user would like to thank Kai for this post
Buz Groshong, JBR1969

Scott
Forum Moderator

by Scott » Mon Jun 09, 2014 2:09 pm

I's also recommend the 5.10's. As mentioned, it's worth renting a pair near the National Park entrance. They will be much more comfortable than running shoes or any kind of hiking shoe or boot.

The following user would like to thank Scott for this post
Buz Groshong, JBR1969

Buz Groshong

by Buz Groshong » Mon Jun 09, 2014 4:04 pm

If you rent 5.10's at the outfitter's you should also get one of their stout wooden closet poles. They are far better than trekking poles and you won't risk destroying your trekking poles. You can also rent a dry bag to keep your lunch and camera, etc. in.

The following user would like to thank Buz Groshong for this post
JBR1969

Return to Utah