Creating a page: Page jumps to the top

Get HTML help, style input, and feedback on your pages from other SP members.
Lodewijk

Creating a page: Page jumps to the top

by Lodewijk » Fri Jun 13, 2014 12:34 pm

When I'm creating a page on SP like a new Route, Mountain or Area, the following keeps happening: (new editor)
After I finish a sentence or press Enter or space or whatsoever, the page jumps back to the top. This is really annoying :-)
Does anyone experience the same thing an can anyone help me out here? Thanks!

Bob Sihler
Forum Moderator

Re: Creating a page: Page jumps to the top

by Bob Sihler » Fri Jun 13, 2014 4:34 pm

I've only had that happen to me when I insert a link.
"Alcohol is like love. The first kiss is magic, the second is intimate, the third is routine. After that you take the girl's clothes off."

--Terry Lennox, The Long Goodbye (Raymond Chandler)

rgg
Forum Moderator

by rgg » Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:56 pm

Yep, always happens after inserting a link. But it doesn't happen after spaces or enter. If it did, I wouldn't call that really annoying, but unworkable.

For the record, I'm normally using the latest version of Google Chrome as browser (and WIndows 8.1). On rare occasions I use IE instead of Chrome. And I often clean up my cache. What's your setup?

ZeeJay
Forum Moderator

by ZeeJay » Fri Jun 13, 2014 11:33 pm

It happens to me when I cut and paste. I find it so annoying that for short stuff, I just retype it instead of pasting.

rgg
Forum Moderator

by rgg » Sat Jun 14, 2014 7:50 am

Strange. I cut and paste regularly, mostly just short text fragments, and never have such problems. Does it always happen, or occasionally but seemingly random, or in specific cases?

Lodewijk

by Lodewijk » Sat Jun 14, 2014 10:17 am

It indeed is getting unworkable as you pointed out Rob (rgg). It takes me a lot more time to create a page. I now do all typing+ editing in MS Word, like underlining, making text bold etc. so that I only have to copy it in the page editor. But adjusting stuff takes me ages becvause after every single character I type I have to scroll down again to see what I'm typing. The typing itself continues, it's the page that goes to the top. It also happens with inserting links, inserting photos, well..with everything.
I will try Google Chrome, maybe this will help...
Anyone got any ideas to solve this? :-)

Lodewijk

by Lodewijk » Sat Jun 14, 2014 10:20 am

rgg wrote:Strange. I cut and paste regularly, mostly just short text fragments, and never have such problems. Does it always happen, or occasionally but seemingly random, or in specific cases?

To answer your question: It happens after every single character I type and after every other step I take like adding a photo etc. ; so it happens always

ZeeJay
Forum Moderator

by ZeeJay » Sat Jun 14, 2014 2:11 pm

rgg wrote:Strange. I cut and paste regularly, mostly just short text fragments, and never have such problems. Does it always happen, or occasionally but seemingly random, or in specific cases?

It happens when I paste a caption into an image. However, I just tried a test where I pasted a bunch of times in different places. About half of the time it jumped to the top and stayed there and the other half jumped to the top for a split second and then went back to where it's supposed to be.

rgg
Forum Moderator

by rgg » Sat Jun 14, 2014 4:54 pm

ZeeJay wrote:

It happens when I paste a caption into an image. However, I just tried a test where I pasted a bunch of times in different places. About half of the time it jumped to the top and stayed there and the other half jumped to the top for a split second and then went back to where it's supposed to be.

I see. I've just tested precisely this, copying and pasting both in captions and in other places, and it works fine - in my first tests that is, using Google Chrome. Then I decided to try it in IE, and there I get lots of unwanted jumps too! Finally I tried Firefox, and that works alright again, though occasionally it jumps to the top for a split second.

So, only Google Chrome apparently works well, at least on my computer. I presume it's time to get Matt's attention now. If he sees similar problems, he'll be able to fix it. I'll send him a pm. In the mean time, perhaps you can run a test using Google Chrome?

As for the OP, I can insert spaces, enter et cetera in Chrome, IE and FIrefox, without any problems, so, on my computer at least, that's not a browser dependent problem.

rgg
Forum Moderator

by rgg » Sat Jun 14, 2014 5:22 pm

Lodewijk wrote:It indeed is getting unworkable as you pointed out Rob (rgg). It takes me a lot more time to create a page. I now do all typing+ editing in MS Word, like underlining, making text bold etc. so that I only have to copy it in the page editor. But adjusting stuff takes me ages becvause after every single character I type I have to scroll down again to see what I'm typing. The typing itself continues, it's the page that goes to the top. It also happens with inserting links, inserting photos, well..with everything.
I will try Google Chrome, maybe this will help...
Anyone got any ideas to solve this? :-)

Hopefully Google Chrome works better for you. That doesn't mean the problem shouldn't be addressed, for there is a good chance that there are others that experience similar problems. Unless someone else has an idea, it's up to Matt now.

The following user would like to thank rgg for this post
Lodewijk

Lodewijk

by Lodewijk » Sat Jun 14, 2014 5:30 pm

Rob, I just tried Google Chrome and it works great! I can type, insert photos, copy, past etc. and the page does not shoot to the top anymore. This will save me a lot of time and frustration in the future.
I agree the problem should be adressed, maybe Matt can help out.
For me it's simple, I'll use Chrome from now on :-)
Thanks everyone for helping out

Return to Page Help