Dubois / Boundary traverse

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
brichardsson

Dubois / Boundary traverse

by brichardsson » Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:26 am

I am in the early stages of planning a traverse from Dubois to The Jumpoff to Montgomery to Boundary. Has anyone done this traverse, and do they have a preference as to which direction to go? I've heard the route finding can be more difficult going from south to north. TIA for any feedback / advice. FWIW, I've already done Boundary and Montgomery, so I'm comfortable heading either direction for at least that section.
Don't try to argue with idiots. You aren't the dumbass whisperer.

Scott M.

Re: Dubois / Boundary traverse

by Scott M. » Tue Jun 24, 2014 5:32 am

If you are traversing to or from Dubois where had you planned to really end since there is no road there? I climbed Dubois from Queen Dick (west side) and don't really feature that as a finish to a traverse. If that is your terminus I would suggest south to north since you will finish on a more established route particularly if night should start to fall. The bottom of the Queen Dick route to Dubois is fairly steep with poor traction.

brichardsson

by brichardsson » Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:25 am

Scott M. wrote:If you are traversing to or from Dubois where had you planned to really end since there is no road there? I climbed Dubois from Queen Dick (west side) and don't really feature that as a finish to a traverse. If that is your terminus I would suggest south to north since you will finish on a more established route particularly if night should start to fall. The bottom of the Queen Dick route to Dubois is fairly steep with poor traction.

There is an east side approach to both of these peaks. See for example this trip report and gps track here:

http://peakbagger.com/climber/ascent.aspx?aid=331621

Greg Enright

by Greg Enright » Sun Jun 29, 2014 4:58 pm

I really like the south ridge of Montgomery, perhaps the route finding is easier heading up rather than down.

Here is the view from the Jumpoff.

And the descent from the Jumpoff is just nasty. Lots of loose rock.

I don't know which direction would be best, but perhaps northbound, so the route finding at the end of the hike would be more straightforward.

Have fun.

The following user would like to thank Greg Enright for this post
brichardsson

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:53 pm

The following user would like to thank MoapaPk for this post
brichardsson

brichardsson

by brichardsson » Tue Jul 01, 2014 12:40 am

MoapaPk wrote:http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=51350

it seems he found boundary and montgomery harder than i did ("That was probably a good thing since the last few miles of the traverse over Montgomery Peak and Boundary Peak are really loose and very sketchy.") and to be frank i am no climbing stud. but at least i know it can be done.

Return to California