Weminuche Wilderness conditions

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the U.S. Rocky Mountains. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Colorado Climbing Partners section.
AlexeyD

Weminuche Wilderness conditions

by AlexeyD » Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:40 am

Thinking of a possible backpacking trip up in those parts over the 4th. Any recent info such as snow levels, snow conditions, creek crossings, etc. would be appreciated! Thanks! AD

no avatar
mconnell

Re: Weminuche Wilderness conditions

by mconnell » Fri Jun 27, 2014 6:01 pm

I just got back from 5 days there. I started from Molas Pass and mostly did day hikes from around the pond by Vestal Creek. I went as far as Kite Lake, Vestal Basin, and some off trail lakes above the mine on Elk Creek.

All that said: Creek crossings weren't too bad. I had planned on going up to Trinity Lake by going cross country from Elk Creek. Elk Creek was a little too high to cross where I needed but was able to cross about 1/2 mile upstream. None of the crossing on the trail were any problem. I did not hit any snow that was an issue at all except for going up Hunchback Pass above Kite Lake. This was passable but sketchy and I probably would have done it if I wasn't solo. Would not have been a problem at all with crampons and shouldn't be a problem next week.

A couple other notes: I saw a total of 3 groups of people over the 5 days. This included nobody in Vestal Basin. There were also almost no bugs. I never used repellent, got 1 mosquito bite and picked up one blood-sucking hitchhiker (tick). Wild flowers were amazing. Definitely at their peak this past week.

The following user would like to thank mconnell for this post
AlexeyD

Teresa Gergen

Re: Weminuche Wilderness conditions

by Teresa Gergen » Sun Jun 29, 2014 12:15 am

Almost no snow on peaks north of the Pagosa area.

The following user would like to thank Teresa Gergen for this post
AlexeyD

Return to Colorado