Granite Peak SW Couloir Condition 2014

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Northern Rockies. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Northern Rockies Climbing Partners section.
sm0421

Granite Peak SW Couloir Condition 2014

by sm0421 » Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:11 pm

Want to create a thread for folks to update the SW Couloir (Sky Lake Approach) condition for summer 2014. We are going to attempt the SW route Aug 9-11. Would appreciate updates on general route condition and snow/ice condition in the chute.

Thanks,
Alex

jdarr67

Re: Granite Peak SW Couloir Condition 2014

by jdarr67 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:46 pm

Heading up there the 3rd of August. I'll let you know how it looks.

sm0421

by sm0421 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:19 pm

Thank you jdarr67! Also interested in knowing the new Lady of the Lake TH parking spot. In 2012 I parked at the Lulu Pass Sign.
Last edited by sm0421 on Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GlacierCountry

by GlacierCountry » Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:30 pm

I'm heading up there Thursday, but not that route. Would I be able to see much from the standard route?
Mountains and Music

Morlow

by Morlow » Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:16 pm

GlacierCountry wrote:I'm heading up there Thursday, but not that route. Would I be able to see much from the standard route?

Really none of it. This shot shows your view toward the SW couloir from the summit area. All you can see is that last bit where you climb up toward the summit ridge.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =900%2C675

jdarr67

by jdarr67 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:07 pm

The TH for Lady of the Lake is about 2 miles up Lulu Pass road. You will see it plain as day on the right side of the Lulu road, with new gravel and clearly marked TH sign once you pull into the parking area. There is another trail coming in from the north where the Goose Lake Jeep road splits off. I think that is a less than a mile up the road. I had a low clearance Subaru, so just used the main TH. Adds a small amount of easy vertical, but not much. I went up Zimmer Creek past Lady of the Lake yesterday to the base of Cardiac Hill to see how the trail conditions are and found all the snow is gone. The stream crossings are easy to that point, as well. Fisher Creek has a bridge across it near the TH. I rock hopped Lady of the Lake Creek south of the main trail. I also rock hopped Star Creek on my way into Zimmer Creek drainage. Zimmer Creek is a for sure water wade, unless you can broad jump 8 feet. But it isn't swift or deep right now. It rained all morning on me, so the trail was a little sloppy. It was nothing I couldn't sidestep for the most part. Was going to hike up to Aero Lakes but thunder and lightning moved into the area, so I turned around. Two hours from TH to Cardiac Hill. Easy hiking to that point.

sm0421

by sm0421 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:00 am

jdarr67 wrote:The TH for Lady of the Lake is about 2 miles up Lulu Pass road. You will see it plain as day on the right side of the Lulu road, with new gravel and clearly marked TH sign once you pull into the parking area. There is another trail coming in from the north where the Goose Lake Jeep road splits off. I think that is a less than a mile up the road. I had a low clearance Subaru, so just used the main TH. Adds a small amount of easy vertical, but not much. I went up Zimmer Creek past Lady of the Lake yesterday to the base of Cardiac Hill to see how the trail conditions are and found all the snow is gone. The stream crossings are easy to that point, as well. Fisher Creek has a bridge across it near the TH. I rock hopped Lady of the Lake Creek south of the main trail. I also rock hopped Star Creek on my way into Zimmer Creek drainage. Zimmer Creek is a for sure water wade, unless you can broad jump 8 feet. But it isn't swift or deep right now. It rained all morning on me, so the trail was a little sloppy. It was nothing I couldn't sidestep for the most part. Was going to hike up to Aero Lakes but thunder and lightning moved into the area, so I turned around. Two hours from TH to Cardiac Hill. Easy hiking to that point.

really great news jdarr67, have you ever tried the round lake/companion lake TH? Looks like there is a trail from there heading to the east and intersects with the main trail just above Lake of the Lake.

Thanks,
Alex

jdarr67

by jdarr67 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:27 am

I have a buddy in Cooke City that tells me only high clearance vehicles or ATV's can go to Companion Lake on that jeep trail. It saves a couple miles of hiking. The hike from the TH is really easy and scenic anyway. There is a pile of rocks where that trail intersects from Companion with Lady of the Lake trail. Hard to miss it.

Morlow

by Morlow » Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:09 am

I just went up to the jeep trail today and I can vouch for it only being for hardcore vehicles (or people haha). I was hoping to drive it all the way to the end with my slightly lifted Dodge Ram with offroad tires, but I had seen enough after one mile. It took us a good 25 minutes to go the one mile we went. We did see some ATVs on the trail and that is really the way to go unless you have a decked out Jeep. My truck really isn't designed for offroading on terrain as rocky as the trail is. I wouldn't go back in any street-legal vehicle less than a lifted Jeep with massive tires, although I admit that would be really fun!

The following user would like to thank Morlow for this post
ClimbingRandy

ClimbingRandy

by ClimbingRandy » Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:50 pm

Thanks for all the beta folks. Definitely interested in the amount of snow in the couloir, leaving the ice ax and crampons behind would be nice!

sm0421

by sm0421 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:31 pm

thank you guys! same here, will be going with a 5-person team so definitely looking forward from some beta in early Aug, will report back as well after our trip.

sm0421

by sm0421 » Wed Aug 06, 2014 3:33 pm

Any updates?

GlacierCountry

by GlacierCountry » Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:51 pm

Had an epic trip. Gale force winds on our approach day but sunny and clear. Gorgeous skies and only mild to moderate winds on summit day. The snow bridge was pretty stout. I used microspikes and just did a rope belay. It was easy to kick steps in the snow on the warm sunny day we went (7/25). I would have prefered to have an axe. I'm happy to send pictures via email to anyone who wants a peek. I don't know how to post pictures here or else I would. Good luck to those taking the SW couloir route, I have no idea of the conditions there but generally I think there is still a fair amount of snow around.
Mountains and Music

crussellbowden

by crussellbowden » Sat Aug 09, 2014 7:55 am

Great info; I'm most likely doing it the 16/17...any more updates would be great, because I too would like to leave the crampons and ice axe at home.

ClimbingRandy

by ClimbingRandy » Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:09 pm

Good luck Crussellbowden, definitely report back after you're attempt, I'm planning on heading in the 20th-23th.

Hey quick question non condition related... Can you pick up white gas in Cooke City or should I seek some out in Bozeman?

Next

Return to Northern Rockies (ID, MT, WY)