STATE HIGHPOINT CLIMBERS

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.
Bark Eater

Re: The Club and Ebright Azimuth

by Bark Eater » Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:45 pm

GEM Trail wrote:I live an hour from Ebright Azimuth. Was literally in the neighborhood yesterday and drove over.

GEM, I live 4 miles from the Azimuth. Drove by on Saturday on our way to the farmers market. Holler next time you are down this way and we will get together for a beer!

Alpinist

Re: STATE HIGHPOINT CLIMBERS

by Alpinist » Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:12 pm

Florida Frank wrote:Not pretending to understand the intracies of the Highpointers Club, as I just recently joined. My experience with relatively small volunteer organizations is that many of them have the same even smaller core of faithful volunteers performing key roles for a very long period of time because no one else will do it. I'm relatively sure they would gladly accept your offer of help with the website....though I wouldn't recommend you start by criticizing the "k"s.

ps - One thing I think the Highpointers do right is a pretty darn impressive newsletter...lots of detailed information when it does come out. I am sure they consider that a benefit of membership and therefore don't freely distribute on the web.

I agree with you Frank. I'm on the Board of the Chicago Mountaineering Club (~200 members) and most members probably don't realize how much time I and the other Board members vounteer. I'm sure it's the same for the HPers Klub. It's not like we are paid and it's not like we have a staff to help us with the myriad of things that need to be done. It does irk me when Board members fail to do what is required of them; they should not take the position if they can't fulfill their obligations. However, the expectations placed on a volunteer Board must be reasonable.

That said, I do agree that their website could use some improvement. I'm sure they would be grateful for any offers of help. You may not need to be on the Board to help the Klub, which is a great way to focus your efforts without being burdened with the mutiple other responsibilities that Board members have (like attending all the Board meetings, for one thing.)

Alpinist

by Alpinist » Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:51 pm

Really??

Fletch

by Fletch » Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:35 pm

nellis wrote:Are there any black highpointers?

No. Not really. I was at the Konvention in OR and didn't see a whole lot. Doesn't mean they don't exist though.

Your point?

GEM Trail

Mid Atlantic gathering

by GEM Trail » Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:36 pm

To Florida Frank, Hotoven, Elichten, and all interested parties-

Anyone up for a little highpointers gathering this fall? Let's get together, drink some beers, and share some stories!

Let's give ourselves a couple weeks to get things together. I am open to any kind of gathering. We could 1) meet in the Philly/Wilmington area one evening, 2) congregate someplace for a dayhike, or 3) camp out. For 2 or 3 it might be fun to climb Hawk Mountain/the Pinnacle, as it is the closest thing in the area that resembles a real mountain! The Pinnacle is supposed to have the best views in Pennsylvania (I know that's not saying a whole lot..)

What do you guys think? Maybe the second or third weekend of October? We could catch the fall colors at their peak...

Bark Eater

Re: Mid Atlantic gathering

by Bark Eater » Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:51 pm

GEM Trail wrote:To Florida Frank, Hotoven, Elichten, and all interested parties-

Anyone up for a little highpointers gathering this fall? Let's get together, drink some beers, and share some stories!

Let's give ourselves a couple weeks to get things together. I am open to any kind of gathering. We could 1) meet in the Philly/Wilmington area one evening, 2) congregate someplace for a dayhike, or 3) camp out. For 2 or 3 it might be fun to climb Hawk Mountain/the Pinnacle, as it is the closest thing in the area that resembles a real mountain! The Pinnacle is supposed to have the best views in Pennsylvania (I know that's not saying a whole lot..)

What do you guys think? Maybe the second or third weekend of October? We could catch the fall colors at their peak...

GEM, sounds like a plan. How about either 10/13 or 14? Suggest AM hike on Hawk Mountain followed by a pint and a meal some place nearby. Alternatively if not sufficient time for a hike we could meet at Victory in Downingtown to commiserate (IMHO the best beer in the state) and would be fairly centrally located.

Just back from a fine early fall week in the Adirondacks. Leaves are just starting to change. Continuing to pick away at my 46ers with 35/46 now complete.

Hotoven

by Hotoven » Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:58 pm

Florida Frank wrote:
GEM Trail wrote:To Florida Frank, Hotoven, Elichten, and all interested parties-

GEM, sounds like a plan. How about either 10/13 or 14? Suggest AM hike on Hawk Mountain followed by a pint and a meal some place nearby. Alternatively if not sufficient time for a hike we could meet at Victory in Downingtown to commiserate (IMHO the best beer in the state) and would be fairly centrally located.

Just back from a fine early fall week in the Adirondacks. Leaves are just starting to change. Continuing to pick away at my 46ers with 35/46 now complete.

I could do the 14th of Oct. I'm only like an hour away from hawk and the pinnacle. There's some rock climbs there too, but I don't know if your interested. Its a lot of extra time, and who wants to lug all that gear around ehh? I need a little get away, I'm in my last week of school and my head is about to explode...
"Hey, careful, man, there's a beverage here!"
- The Dude, Lebowski

sm0421

by sm0421 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:21 am

I can do Oct 13/14, I'm about 30 minutes away from the Pinnacle :)

The past few weeks I re-visited HPs in the NE states, good time.

-Alex

Hotoven

by Hotoven » Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:39 am

sm0421 wrote:I can do Oct 13/14, I'm about 30 minutes away from the Pinnacle :)

The past few weeks I re-visited HPs in the NE states, good time.

-Alex

You know you live on the East Coast when your revisiting HPs you have already done :wink:
I'm glad you can make it sm0421.
"Hey, careful, man, there's a beverage here!"
- The Dude, Lebowski

sm0421

by sm0421 » Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:39 pm

Hi, I'm planning flying to LAS the last weekend of October to take advantage of cheap Delta air tickets. I plan on climbing Mt. Boundary on Oct 28th. Anyone interested to join me please let me know.

I'll be flying into Vegas Saturday noonish and drive to Boundary Peak, hike on Sunday and come back.

Thanks,
Alex
sunmeng0421@hotmail.com

Jow

by Jow » Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:11 pm

I wish I could join you on Boundary that sounds awesome, but its my anniversary weekend, thats on my list of potential next year acivities.

Just got back from Humphrey's people aren't kidding about the wind.

Its my 25th highpoint so halfway there although i've only completed like 42% of elevation needed. I've had a great time on this journey so far. I've hiked 160 miles and visited places i never thought I would, and I have lost about 17 pounds since begining in 2008. I remember struggling up Highpont NJ and now Humphrey's AZ i was like that was pretty easy, so regardless if i finish or not I am certainly better off for this hobby.

Jow

by Jow » Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:12 pm

Oh an just posted Humphreys trip report if anyone wants to check out some pictures

sm0421

by sm0421 » Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:12 pm

Great picture Jow!

Redwic

by Redwic » Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:34 pm

On September 11, 2012, I summited Katahdin. It was my 47th State Highpoint, overall. I now only have Montana, Hawaii, and Alaska remaining on that list. I failed on my first Granite Peak attempt, and Hawaii & Alaska are the only two States I have never visited at all, yet.

Bark Eater

by Bark Eater » Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:41 pm

GEM, want to make the commitment for 10/14 at Hawk Mtn. or the Pinnacle? Pick a meet time and place and let us know. Sounds like you have at least three takers (SM0421, Hotoven, and me). Perhaps post in the Eastern forum as well? Sorry to push a response but the way my life is unless I get stuff on the calendar well in advance it usually winds up not happening.

PreviousNext

Return to General