Gore Range Brush Creek trailhead?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the U.S. Rocky Mountains. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Colorado Climbing Partners section.
tdkehoe

Gore Range Brush Creek trailhead?

by tdkehoe » Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:51 pm

Can I drive my Subaru Outback up the Brush Creek road? I mean, without destroying my car? :-) Is the Brush Creek road worse than the Rock Creek road? That's about my limit for punishing my car.

Monster5

Re: Gore Range Brush Creek trailhead?

by Monster5 » Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:10 pm

No. Park it at a gravel lot across the street at the bottom. Deep ruts.

no avatar
mconnell

by mconnell » Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:03 pm

It may be worse than it was a few years ago, but I drove my outback most of the way up the road. Broke part of the plastic off the bottom when I slid off a log "bridge" over a creek. I decided to park it. There was a Dodge Caravan minivan at the trailhead, so I decided I was a wimp.

That said, I would not try to drive back there again. Listen to M5 and just walk. Driving was so slow that it didn't save me much time and wasn't worth the wear&tear on the car.

Craig Weston

by Craig Weston » Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:21 pm

I walked that road in early August: I would think that you'd need a true high-clearance vehicle, but the worst of the ruts were very near the bottom, so you could scout it out on foot and make a decision.

The walk is not bad at all, but we were bushwhacking up the S. Fork of Black Creek and had a very long day ahead of us, so the head start of driving the road would have been handy.

Return to Colorado