Any additions to my gear?

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
no avatar
Nightstalker32

Any additions to my gear?

by Nightstalker32 » Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:22 pm

Hey guys, recently I posted about climbing/hiking areas near me and it seems the best bet for me is to move out west. Seems the chicago area doesnt have much.
The 2 places I do enjoy going to though, are starved rock, and indiana dunes state park. Of course, I enjoy going in the middle of the winter, as I find the deep snow, ice sheets, winds and the challenge to keep warm more fun than going in the summer. ALL of my hikes are long and OFF the trail since I like finding my own way around. with that said, Im looking to improve or add on to my gear.

I take all the basic essentials, machete, knife, first aid kits, food, layers, etc. But Im looking to improve my experience(making it easier to get around and such) while gaining more hands on skills with new equipment. With this said, would things like an ice axe/ice tool do me good? or would trekking poles suffice? I see many people bring stoves with them, are they worth the money in my situation?

I also dont want to seem like "that guy" that is going for a hike in the summer/winter and brings gear to climb Everest. Any help would be awesome. I think Im looking just to get on the right track again. thanks

nartreb

Re: Any additions to my gear?

by nartreb » Fri Aug 29, 2014 3:12 pm

I'm wondering if your first step might be to reduce your gear.

What do you use the machete for??? What's in your first aid kits? (Kits? Plural?)

An ice axe is used to help keep you from falling on steep snow. I don't know the area, there might be a gully somewhere within driving distance where you could use an ice axe (maybe even an ice tool) if you really wanted to, but it sounds like overkill.

A stove is often nice to have in winter, especially in a forced bivy or a rescue situation, you can heat up some food and drink, to fight exhaustion and hypothermia. Much easier than gathering firewood (especially if your leg is broken), though not a substitute for some basic shelter - you can get quite cold while you wait for your water to heat up on the stove. If you're going to be off-trail in winter and hard for anybody to find, it's probably worth the weight to carry a stove and some fuel. Also take some kind of bivy or at least a tarp. The money for either is comparable to a tankful of gasoline, so it shouldn't be your first concern.

JHH60

by JHH60 » Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:33 pm

jesu, joy of man's desiring wrote:Nartreb gives good advice.

Going in sub-zero temps by yourself on trail less terrain sounds sort of dangerous...for the emergency bivy I'd bring along a very light weight zero degree rated sleeping bag...a cell phone is good

That machete sounds cool....they make em lightweight these days and there are zombies in Indiana I hear

Make sure you have the right machete. The Marine Corps fought their way across the South Pacific in WW II with KaBar knives.

http://www.kabar.com/knives/detail/179
Last edited by JHH60 on Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bob Sihler
Forum Moderator

by Bob Sihler » Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:34 pm

jesu, joy of man's desiring wrote:That machete sounds cool....they make em lightweight these days and there are zombies in Indiana I hear

Shotguns and crossbows are more efficient and mean you don't have to be at such close range, but a machete does make the ammo issue go away.
"Alcohol is like love. The first kiss is magic, the second is intimate, the third is routine. After that you take the girl's clothes off."

--Terry Lennox, The Long Goodbye (Raymond Chandler)

Woodswalker

by Woodswalker » Sat Aug 30, 2014 3:54 pm

Last edited by Woodswalker on Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Woodswalker

by Woodswalker » Sat Aug 30, 2014 3:58 pm

Last edited by Woodswalker on Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:43 pm

One of my friends brings a machete for peaks that have extremely thick brush... really... and it has been quite useful for him.

Return to Gear