Pants layering?

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
ChristopherFranklin

Pants layering?

by ChristopherFranklin » Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:05 am

I wear Columbia sportswear Ridge 2 Run pants and add under armour long underwear if I get cold, this setup has worked well for me down to about 10 degrees but I need a setup for colder. I've been looking at full zip gore tex shell pants but they seem to be just a wind and moisture blocking layer with zero insulation, my question is what do you wear under them? I'd like to hear some setups you guys and girls wear for 10 to -10 weather.

Tonka

Re: Pants layering?

by Tonka » Tue Sep 23, 2014 4:15 am

What is the purpose? The Ridge 2 Run looks like a ski pant so I'm not sure why you are looking at a gortex shell when you basicaly have the same thing already. With the right long underwear you should be able to stay warm down to -10 without an issue. I wear softshell pants in weather down to -10 with a mid-weight long undrewear all the time and if wettness or a glissade is in my future I will carry a light shell pant.

Snowslogger

by Snowslogger » Tue Sep 23, 2014 4:57 am

You could try a thick fuzzy long underwear underneath (like the old Patagonia expedition underwear, or whatever they've replaced it with). Might be pretty warm, but you can easily wear less on top.

WyomingSummits

by WyomingSummits » Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:19 am

Tonka wrote:What is the purpose? The Ridge 2 Run looks like a ski pant so I'm not sure why you are looking at a gortex shell when you basicaly have the same thing already. With the right long underwear you should be able to stay warm down to -10 without an issue. I wear softshell pants in weather down to -10 with a mid-weight long undrewear all the time and if wettness or a glissade is in my future I will carry a light shell pant.

Basically the same here. I wear midweight tights under a MH softshell. If it's wet I throw on a light shell pant. I do run hotter than most though.

ChristopherFranklin

by ChristopherFranklin » Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:18 am

So you put the shell on over the soft shell?

WyomingSummits

by WyomingSummits » Tue Sep 23, 2014 2:30 pm

ChristopherFranklin wrote:So you put the shell on over the soft shell?

Yes.....if the need arises.

no avatar
Ulu

by Ulu » Tue Sep 23, 2014 2:42 pm

I use the Patagonia Triolet pants, and layer with either a medium wt or fleece long underwear depending on the conditions. These shells have full side zips for venting.

ChristopherFranklin

by ChristopherFranklin » Tue Sep 23, 2014 4:01 pm

So what's the benefit of using a soft shell pant over going straight to the gore tex shell? Is the soft shell more comfortable?

no avatar
Ulu

by Ulu » Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:40 pm

Soft shells are not as waterproof as hardshells, but they are more comfy. If i'm out for a day in snow, I'll go with my softshells. If I think there may be rain/freezing rain or wet snow, I take hardshells. If I am doing multi-day alpine, I take hardshells just to be safe. It saves me from having to pack an extra shell.

ExcitableBoy

by ExcitableBoy » Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:53 pm

In very cold weather I use a winter weight softshell made from Scholler Dryskin Extreme. This is a heavy softshell that is more wind and water resistant than their lighter weight fabrics and it has a brushed interior for added insulation. I wear a mid weight long underwear under this. This setup is good for temps down to 0 F. For colder weather I add a pair of PowerStretch 200 tights. Good for very, very cold conditions.

I gave away my last pair of hardshell pants and never looked back. Softshells are more breathable, flexible and comfortable. I climb extensively in the wet Cascade mountains in the winter and Alaska Range in the spring, as well as ice climbing in Canada and Montana with this set up. If it is raining, I go home.

The following user would like to thank ExcitableBoy for this post
ChristopherFranklin

ChristopherFranklin

by ChristopherFranklin » Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:03 pm

Does anyone know a website that does reviews on shoft shell and shell pants? Outdoor Gear Lab doesn't.

Return to Gear