"Artist" tagging rock in national parks

Mountaineering, rock climbing, and hiking news.
Buz Groshong

Re: "Artist" tagging rock in national parks

by Buz Groshong » Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:38 am

Art is when you buy the canvass and then paint on it. When the canvass isn't yours, it isn't art.

I think a suitable punishment would be to let a bunch of park patrons paint her. :wink:

The following user would like to thank Buz Groshong for this post
96avs01, MarkDidier

MarkDidier

by MarkDidier » Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:52 pm

Buz Groshong wrote:Art is when you buy the canvass and then paint on it. When the canvass isn't yours, it isn't art.

That about sums it up! Nicely worded... :D :D :D

Tonka

by Tonka » Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:33 pm

If she feels she can paint on OUR national parks and call it art we should be able to tattoo an F and U on her forehead and call it art.

Marmaduke

by Marmaduke » Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:53 pm

Here is another site that has allegedly spoke to a family member of Nocket and she will be turning herself in but is worried for her safety.
http://trailmob.com/lifestyle/articles/family-of-now-infamous-national-parks-tagger-speaks

no avatar
willytinawin

by willytinawin » Sun Oct 26, 2014 1:37 am

My understanding is that acrylic paint is water-based. I think she should be forced to return to the various sites on her own dime, and given a scrub brush and pail of water, and scrub the paint until it's gone. Sure, it will still have some faint residual, but one of the problems in today's world, as I see it, is that when a "problem" crops up, $$millions are spent investigating it, Congressional hearings are held, Tsars are appointed, and a huge waste of taxpayer money ensues. Then our entrance fees are doubled to pay for it all. She is not a violent offender, just a dummy. She is not a threat to the public. what she did was wrong, and she should be forced to clean it up. People in automobiles do a ton of damage to the environment, yet nobody seems to care very much about that. I've seen people drive off-road to get closer to a peak, crushing plants and leaving tracks, just to avoid walking another mile, but it will not make the news. I saw a smashed desert tortoise on the edge of the road by Trashcan Rock last May but that was not newsworthy. To me that's a much larger loss to the desert. A few years ago the Park found a dead, burned tortoise in a campground fire grate. I guess to me that is worse than what this young woman did.
The difference is that she did it on purpose, but still not nearly as bad as the idiot in Hemet last summer (two summers ago) that started a fire on his property that burned past Tahquitz and almost to the Mountain Tram Station. I don't see a mob headed for his house. Lately they made a huge deal in Joshua Tree last year because some kids etched their names on Barker Dam. All Barker Dam is is a man made structure a homesteader built to water his herd. I say make her clean it up, she's not very bright (to post it on social media), and it will be a good lesson for her.

Tonka

by Tonka » Sun Oct 26, 2014 4:48 pm

willytinawin wrote:My understanding is that acrylic paint is water-based. I think she should be forced to return to the various sites on her own dime, and given a scrub brush and pail of water, and scrub the paint until it's gone. Sure, it will still have some faint residual, but one of the problems in today's world, as I see it, is that when a "problem" crops up, $$millions are spent investigating it, Congressional hearings are held, Tsars are appointed, and a huge waste of taxpayer money ensues. Then our entrance fees are doubled to pay for it all. She is not a violent offender, just a dummy. She is not a threat to the public. what she did was wrong, and she should be forced to clean it up. People in automobiles do a ton of damage to the environment, yet nobody seems to care very much about that. I've seen people drive off-road to get closer to a peak, crushing plants and leaving tracks, just to avoid walking another mile, but it will not make the news. I saw a smashed desert tortoise on the edge of the road by Trashcan Rock last May but that was not newsworthy. To me that's a much larger loss to the desert. A few years ago the Park found a dead, burned tortoise in a campground fire grate. I guess to me that is worse than what this young woman did.
The difference is that she did it on purpose, but still not nearly as bad as the idiot in Hemet last summer (two summers ago) that started a fire on his property that burned past Tahquitz and almost to the Mountain Tram Station. I don't see a mob headed for his house. Lately they made a huge deal in Joshua Tree last year because some kids etched their names on Barker Dam. All Barker Dam is is a man made structure a homesteader built to water his herd. I say make her clean it up, she's not very bright (to post it on social media), and it will be a good lesson for her.

Way too rational, chop off her painting hand!

no avatar
willytinawin

by willytinawin » Sun Oct 26, 2014 8:07 pm

I think the young woman's offense in JTree was painting her stuff at the petroglyphs on the Barker Dam trail. My understanding is that these petroglyphs were painted over years ago by a movie set because they did not show up very well on the camera. I don't have all the facts, but the petroglyphs have been previously painted over, I know that as a fact. Anyhow, what she did is wrong, but locking her up for a year or more, and then fining her a few hundred thousand dollars, and garnishing her wages for the rest of her life, I dunno, seems a bit over the top to me. What she did is fixable, with a brush, water, maybe some soap, and elbow grease. Certainly a power washer will get it off, but will cost more. Like the Barker Dam graffiti, it's unfortunate, but the dam is still there and intact. If it ever rains again, the graffiti will be under water, not visible to Park visitors, and eventually time and water will erase it.

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Mon Oct 27, 2014 3:24 am

After acrylic cures, it is pretty much water-insoluble. However...http://jbosh1972.hubpages.com/hub/vario ... ylic-paint

Augie Medina

by Augie Medina » Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:12 pm

Interesting topic because twice this year myself and dozens of other volunteer canyoneers have descended Eaton Canyon in the San Gabriel Mountains (now closed to public access because of dumb-ass kids trying to reach the tops of waterfalls via loose, crumbly 4th class ridges resulting in numerous deaths in the past few years and dozens of helicopter rescues every year) cleaning graffiti (and trash). Like someone said, if you don't own the canvass or don't have permission to paint on the canvass take your artistry elsewhere. The lady should get the maximum punishment. Her bragging about it compounded stupidity and indifference with arrogance.

Marmaduke

by Marmaduke » Tue Oct 28, 2014 2:00 pm

Augie Medina
Her bragging about it compounded stupidity and indifference with arrogance.

Ahh, but she is now remorseful and knows what she did was wrong..... :roll:

Buz Groshong

by Buz Groshong » Tue Oct 28, 2014 3:14 pm

Marmaduke wrote:
Augie Medina
Her bragging about it compounded stupidity and indifference with arrogance.

Ahh, but she is now remorseful and knows what she did was wrong..... :roll:

If she knows what she did was wrong, then she should remove it!

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:13 pm

Casey Nocket is a bitch.

The following user would like to thank mrchad9 for this post
brichardsson, Marmaduke

Buz Groshong

by Buz Groshong » Wed Oct 29, 2014 3:14 pm

jesu, joy of man's desiring wrote:Her agent needs to book her on Dr Phil so she can discuss her feelings and cash in on this big time

I think Dr. Phil would tell her to take responsibility for her actions and get her ass out there and remove her graffiti.

Previous

Return to News