How long would a person survive in these conditions

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.
no avatar
ZeljkoSubotica

How long would a person survive in these conditions

by ZeljkoSubotica » Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:41 pm

Hi,I was wondering something about hypothermia (and I watched south park,the episode where cartman freezes himself) and lets say that for whatever reason you have either very little or no clothes on you and you find yourself on a mountain that is 0 degrees celsius or less (32f) ,how long would you survive? I think that I read that the critical body temperature is around 25-27 celsius and most don't survive when it falls that low (heart attack),however I could only find time for when you are in water,about 10-15 minutes,but its not really the hypothermia that finishes you,but the fact that you can't swim after that time and you drown,but other than that I couldn't find anything that answers my question. I suppose that you would last 30-250 minutes,but I may be wrong.

Ben Beckerich

Re: How long would a person survive in these conditions

by Ben Beckerich » Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:28 pm

Way too many variables.... wind chill being the biggest.. BMI, sitting still or staying active, how well fed/hydrated, whether there's any or how much contact with conductive surfaces- snow, rock, camp pad, etc... so on and so forth.

If all of these are worst case... probably severe hypothermia in 20 minutes, death in 40-50? If all are best case, possibly as much as 24 hours or more?

I run and ride my bike in next to nothing- just thin shorts and jersey- all the way down to mid 30s F... I've alpine climbed in the teens in nothing more than a shell over bare ass on the bottom and shell over compression shirt on the top. Right at freezing, if you're staying active and the wind chill index is low, you can stay warm for as long as you have the energy to.
where am i going... and why am i in this handbasket?

Kai

by Kai » Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:44 am

You'll be fine. Just emulate this guy:

http://abcnews.go.com/2020/iceman-marat ... d=10731229

no avatar
ZeljkoSubotica

by ZeljkoSubotica » Sun Nov 30, 2014 2:09 pm

Man,if I had a superpower like that I would find some rich people to bet with that I can stay in a freezer for an hour for a million dollars.

Return to General