Guide book - Mont Blanc massif

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.
no avatar
matoo

Guide book - Mont Blanc massif

by matoo » Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:18 pm

Hello guys,

I need advice: I would like with my partner to start to climb in Mont Blanc massif (France) - we have experiences with winter climbing from our country.
We found book - guide : "Rebuffat's 100 Finest Routes in the Mont Blanc Massif".
My question is: Is some better guide book for "beginers" like this? If yes, please recommend it me.
Thank you for opinions.

Mato

no avatar
Peter R

Re: Guide book - Mont Blanc massif

by Peter R » Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:26 pm

Hi Mato,
Rebuffat's book is wonderful !

A much more recent and attractive book is 'The Mont Blanc Range, Classic snow, ice and mixed climbing' by Jean-Louis Laroche, published by The Mountain Books in USA and Baton Wicks in Europe & the commonwealth. It describes a few of the simpler routes with lovely photos and text in just 95 pages and in a good format for carrying in your pocket. Priced at $25 and £13 respectively.

Try also the UK Alpine Club for 2 volumes on the Mont Blanc range. These books are very detailed and cover all grades from F upwards. Cicerone may be the publisher ?

Regards,

Peter R

The following user would like to thank Peter R for this post
matoo

no avatar
matoo

by matoo » Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:42 pm

Thank you for advice Peter.
Probably aj buy Rebufat :D

Kai

by Kai » Thu Nov 27, 2014 2:07 am

Rebuffat's 100 finest routes is a good book, but is a bit dated. Various glacial changes in the area have altered many of the routes significantly, some dangerously so. (For example, "route" #2 on the Mer de Glace is not particularly safe, and nobody goes there to practice ice climbing any more.)

While Rebuffat's book is worth having, a more updated 100 routes book is Phillip Batoux's book, Mont Blanc, Finest Routes.

The Laroche book mentioned above by Peter is a good book, but doesn't have too many routes in it. They are all good routes, however, and good objectives that are not too difficult.

The definitive alpine guide to the whole range in English (and French) is Francois Damilano's 2 volume set: Mont Blanc Climbs, Snow, Ice, and Mixed

is Lindsay Griffin's 2 volume set is also very good, but not as current as Damilano's.

There are a number of rock guides too.

http://www.needlesports.com/Catalogue/B ... monix-Alps

Return to General