Do you run?

Tips, tricks, workouts, injury advice.
ChristopherFranklin

Re: Do you run?

by ChristopherFranklin » Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:03 pm

Did you realy post a video of you rowing for 4 mins?

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:57 am

I prefer running on a treadmill -- much more of a whole-body work-out.
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aqg55WBvf1c[/youtube]
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8QFa4mndFU[/youtube]

LesterLong

by LesterLong » Sun Dec 14, 2014 1:09 pm

Good morning friends,

Just a note that I ran 4 miles in 34:38 (pace of 8:38). Getting there!

Tonka

by Tonka » Sun Dec 14, 2014 4:51 pm

Good Job! I was having meniscus issues early 2014 so I had to lay off the running for 6 months and I had just got back to the point where I was doing similar numbers, intervals and getting strength back in my knee on my leg lifts. Then.....I go to AZ for Thanksgiving and do 4 straight days of hiking and I almost went back all the way to where I started. The downhill I assume is what did it. Lesson, keep it up but don't push it.

I'm heading to HI for Christmas so I need to just stay in enough shape to get the miles in for Mauna Kea and do some hiking on Kaua'i.

no avatar
Motus

by Motus » Sun Dec 14, 2014 11:37 pm

I ran a half marathon for 1:37:56. I used to be a professional athlete (rowing). So I know a thing or two about physical preparations.

I find it quite good to see so many climber training daily with a distinct goal in mind. (To be prepared for a certain climb).

Even though I run daily, I have noticed than running on flat surface isn't as effective for mountaineering as one might think. Don't get me wrong, any kind of training is infinitely better than doing nothing. (Unless it's something crazy where you end up injuring yourself).

Why is that so? Because muscles are trained in a different way. By running your legs are doing very fast movements with very little resistance on a moderately high to high heart rate. While mountaineering is done with medium speed leg movement with greater resistance (think backpack and incline/decline) at lower heart rate for a longer time exhausting you in a different way. Think walking vs. climbing stairs two at the time.

Trail running is somewhat better aimed for what you're looking for. Need something even more specific? Trail running on uphill/downhill route. Then again very few of us have daily access to trails.

We don't live in a perfect world and there are lots of limitations. We can't climb every day, therefore we work out trying to make best of our situation and abilities.

My point is "you should train the way you fight" ; "You can't train for a marathon by going bowling".

The following user would like to thank Motus for this post
LesterLong

Previous

Return to Technique and Training