How Norman Clyde's Photographs Found Their Way Home

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
bearflag

by bearflag » Sun Jan 18, 2015 10:37 pm

The Mysterious Effects of Gravity on Lost Property
or

Many of you kind folks have puzzled with me over some of the mystery photographs that I inadvertently collected some years ago and have posted on my website, http://www.thehighsierra.org . The latest chapter is this story concerns an email that I received in mid-December that I faithfully reproduce here:

Hello,
I have a very old  overnight case  that had been sitting in my parents house for 60yrs or so. Inside the box is a lot of very similar things like you have. Pictures,negatives, letters, post cards, original newspaper clips dateing from the late 30s back to 1915. The appalaction club. The backs of all the developed pictures have been written on telling the mountain name face elevation etc. One of the pictures had the name Jules Eickorn on the back so I googled it and a picture of him came up with your web page underneath. That's how I ended up with your Email address. If you would like to hear the story of where the box was found and other stuff in the box you can call me at 555-1212 as I probably wont have the box much longer. I know nothing about climbing rocks.

At first I was a bit suspicious but gave in to my curiosity and gave the writer a call. Sure enough, he did have an odd collection of old Norman's property and wanted to see it in the hands of someone who would appreciate it for its historical value.......for a price.
I was pretty concerned that one of his relatives who was a fan of Antiques Roadshow would get his ear and convince him to hold out for the big bucks so I immediately got on the phone to a friend down south who shares an interest in Clyde and convinced him to make a trip out to see this gentleman and procure the goods. Here I will mention that this friend is Dennis Kruska, author and lecturer on Clyde and his times. See if you can find a copy of his beautiful book, Twenty-Five Letters From Norman Clyde, 1923-1964 . I believe there were only 500 copies printed by Dawson's Book Shop in 1998.
So, Denny takes a trip to the wilds of Lake Elsinore where he trades a handful of cash for a case of photos, negatives, and correspondence, apparently separated from Norman many years ago. He kindly forwarded the negatives to me and I have been scanning, identifying where possible, and posting here:
http://www.thehighsierra.org/Norman%20Clyde%20Found.htm
The plan is to deliver this material to the Eastern California Museum in Independence where it can reside with the rest of Norman's possessions. I'm hoping that the Museum will have another Norman Clyde Day this spring and we can all be regaled by Denny's quest for the Lost Clyde Scrolls.
Many of these photographs are as yet unidentified so if you would like to try your luck, have at it. We would greatly appreciate it.
Mike Rettie
Alameda

The following user would like to thank bearflag for this post
asmrz, boyblue, ECW, hightinerary, Tom Kenney

seano

Re: How Norman Clyde's Photographs Found Their Way Home

by seano » Sun Jan 18, 2015 11:18 pm

Good stuff!

3 - Near the summit of Middle Palisade's standard route.
17 - Russell and Tulainyo Lake from the west?
18 - Williamson (far center) from the south. Morgensen in the foreground?

The following user would like to thank seano for this post
bearflag

ECW

by ECW » Mon Jan 19, 2015 6:17 am

Mike, great images!

#22- From the vicinity of the Bighorn Plateau, with (L-R) mts 'the Cleaver', Russell, Hale (in front of Russell), Whitney, and Young ( in front of Whitney) most prominent.

The following user would like to thank ECW for this post
bearflag

hightinerary

by hightinerary » Mon Jan 19, 2015 6:38 pm

6 & 13: Wotans Throne from Bighorn Park.

The following user would like to thank hightinerary for this post
bearflag

bearflag

by bearflag » Tue Jan 20, 2015 2:45 am

I just had the time to sit long enough to post Denny's scans of the prints that he has. Have another look.
http://www.thehighsierra.org/Norman%20Clyde%20Found.htm
Thanks to everyone for their contributions so far. Seem to be on the money.

The following user would like to thank bearflag for this post
ECW

Bob Burd
Forum Moderator

by Bob Burd » Tue Jan 20, 2015 3:57 am

Great photos!
The one labeled:
"Clyde roping down from North Palisade Summit Sept 1934"
and the last are both of Starlight Peak, with the feature known as the Milk Bottle. Back in the day I think it was considered part of North Pal (which it probably is) and not a separate peak.

The following user would like to thank Bob Burd for this post
bearflag

Norma R

by Norma R » Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:07 am

Wow! Great piece of climbing history. Glad it will become part of the museum exhibit. Made me smile to see how casual that large group is that's sitting on the summit of North Pal. Looked like a beautiful summer day at 14k. You probably already know #10 and 11 are Mt. Whitney taken from the summit of Mt. Russell. #18 Is Mount Barnard, Mt Russell and Mt Williamson taken from Mount Whitney.

The following user would like to thank Norma R for this post
bearflag

hightinerary

by hightinerary » Wed Jan 21, 2015 12:19 pm

Thanks in advance for providing this material to the Eastern California Museum in Independence.

dyusem

by dyusem » Wed Jan 21, 2015 1:13 pm

Wow indeed! Thanks for posting this thread and helping to preserve this history!!!

hightinerary

by hightinerary » Wed Jan 21, 2015 1:53 pm

#14 looks like Mt. Irvine to me. But now I'm not so sure of #13.

Return to California