MSR SuperFuel White Gas in Italy

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.
oleata

MSR SuperFuel White Gas in Italy

by oleata » Fri Jan 23, 2015 10:06 pm

How can I buy MSR SuperFuel White Gas in Italy?

dadndave
Forum Moderator

Re: MSR SuperFuel White Gas in Italy

by dadndave » Sat Jan 24, 2015 3:40 am

My Italian friend assures me that "benzina bianca" (white gas) is readily available in Italy. As for that specific brand (which is allegedly purer than competing products), he didn't know, but if the claims of the manufacturer are actually true, then I suppose the worst that can happen is you have to clean your stove after the trip.

Try posting your question in the Europe forum.

Good luck.
The strawman is evil and must be punished,

rgg
Forum Moderator

by rgg » Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:30 pm

On quite a few of my trips I've spent lots of time searching for fuel, for different stoves and in different countries, and I learned the hard way that without knowing what's available and where to look for it, it's easy to waste a whole lot of time asking around and going from one place to another.

Last summer I was running low on fuel for my MSR stove and so I went looking for white gas in Bressanone / Brixen, a small city in northern Italy. I tried a couple of very big garden shops and a shop with farming supplies, but they didn't have it. I tried a few gas stations too. Eventually I found a farmacy that had some, but in small bottles and very expensive; and soon after I found an outdoor store that sold it for a whopping 9.99 euro per liter! Sure, it was the official Coleman fuel, but at that price I didn't want to buy it. So, if my experience is representative, I wouldn't say white gas is readily available in Italy. Far from it.

For reference: Last time I bought some in my home town of Amsterdam (In Dutch it's called "Wasbenzine") I paid something in the order of 1.5 euro for a liter. That's what I believe to be a good price. But it's a far cry from what they asked in Italy!

Perhaps you get in contact with someone in one of the towns where you plan to go, and make sure that you know a specific place where they sell it at a decent price. If you don't know anyone, just try an email to the local tourist office. And when you can, get in contact with the shop and ask them to set some of it aside for you. Otherwise you might get to waste a whole lot of time hunting for it, or find that you have to pay a whole lot of money.

Good luck indeed,
Rob

dadndave
Forum Moderator

by dadndave » Sun Jan 25, 2015 12:49 am

Coleman's website has a section for retailers in Italy:

http://www.coleman.eu/IT/t-retailerlocator.aspx
The strawman is evil and must be punished,

oleata

by oleata » Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:36 am

Thanks group, these answers help a little so I'll keep searching.

oleata

by oleata » Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:06 pm

I found the White Gas in Italy. MSR, Cascade designs, Coleman.it and many other climbing stores in Italy were no help. I found it on Amazon.it
Coleman Benzina Bianca Senza Piombo.
I haven't ordered it but it looks like I can order it online and send it to my address in Italy.
Amazon, can't mail the white gas out of the USA but they have everything.
Thanks

Return to General