Peaks for a visit to Coeur d' Alene

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Northern Rockies. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Northern Rockies Climbing Partners section.
LuminousAphid

Peaks for a visit to Coeur d' Alene

by LuminousAphid » Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:09 pm

Hey everyone, I have been doing research for my trip to Coeur d' Alene next summer to visit Silverwood, and was wondering if you all have suggestions for good peakbagging around the area. I am from Western WA, so I am pretty comfortable with lots of elevation gain, and don't mind distance if the payoff is worth it. I have been looking into a few places; Sunset Peak near Dobson Pass north of Wallace, and Stevens Peak south of Mullan are a couple I have scouted out so far, but being unfamiliar with the area and where to find trip reports, etc. I am having some trouble getting more ideas.

I like scrambles as well as interesting walkups, especially with good views, but I won't be able to do anything past class 3 (class 4 is a myth) because I will most likely be on my own. Unless, of course, any of you locals want to join me, then I could be convinced to get my harness and shoes back out :) I will be willing to drive probably up to 3 hours from Coeur d' Alene, again if the payoff is good enough. Most likely will not have 4wd/high clearance vehicle.

It looks like I have my cheap hotel booked for Aug 9 - Aug 14. Are there possibly going to be any snow issues by that late in the summer? I would think drier climate = earlier snowmelt? (August around here can still be pretty snowy above 6k)

Actually any suggestions are welcome, even things that are further South/East, because I might be able to change or add nights in a different area- I work at a hotel, and employee rates are super sweet.

- Ryan

reboyles

Re: Peaks for a visit to Coeur d' Alene

by reboyles » Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:25 am

The most comprehensive source of beta for climbs in Idaho is Tom Lopez' book "Idaho a Climbing Guide". He has a whole section on northern Idaho that covers everything from class I to class 5. This past summer he put up a website to supplement the hard copy version of his book.

http://www.idahoaclimbingguide.com/

As for snow in August, that is very unlikely unless we were to get some kind of freak summer storm or a record breaking winter. Only the north sides of the highest peaks in the state hold snow until August.

Bob

Fred Spicker

by Fred Spicker » Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:42 pm

With limited time and for good views without a great deal of effort, you might consider Scotchman - also check out other peaks in the Cabinets

http://www.summitpost.org/scotchman-peak-id/153236

pu

by pu » Fri Dec 05, 2014 3:20 pm

Harrison peak in the Selkirks will get you some third class and great views. Roothaan is pretty and rewarding. Also, its not technical. Scotchman is neat. 100 hikes in the Inland Northwest would be the best guide.

The following user would like to thank pu for this post
reboyles

caverpilot

by caverpilot » Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:30 pm

Anything in the Cabinets - grandeur of Glacier without the crowds.

Return to Northern Rockies (ID, MT, WY)