Island Peak - help and advice

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Asia. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Asia Climbing Partners section.
skbytes

Island Peak - help and advice

by skbytes » Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:40 pm

Hi Guys,

I hope you can help. I've found myself with free time for the whole of October and wondering if it would be possible to climb Island Peak in this time. But I'm looking for information from people who know the mountain.

1) I've heard that Island Peak can be climbed in a week, is this true?

2) What's the Visa requirements (if any) for a UK resident? or can I just fly to Katmandu with no worries?

3) Is it best to fly out there and get a guides and maybe hook up with others who are looking to climb the mountain. The prices are high to book through a UK company to climb Island peak, so I'm looking to do it by other means.

4) Flying to Deli and then on to Katmandu seems to be the best option for price.

Any other advice would be great or any contacts that you do have that could help would be fantastic. :D

thanks Shaun

radson

Re: Island Peak - help and advice

by radson » Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:40 pm

1. We climbed it on day 10 from Lukla with a 1 day waiting on weather. I wouldn't want to have climbed it much earlier. Allow another 4 days to get done. 2 week trip if everything went well. (Assuming no prior acclimitisation)

2. Visa on Arrival. Have your cash and passport photo ready to reduce holdups

3. Plenty of Nepali operators with cheaper prices. You do get what you pat for though.

4. From your way I think a few fly from Qatar as well.

no avatar
gbelgium

Re: Island Peak - help and advice

by gbelgium » Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:01 pm

1. yes 10 not earlier or you will encounter acclimatisation problems, take 1 (or better) 2 bad weather days in consideration

2. visa on arrival, 30 USD cash en photo

3. nepali operators on arrival or mail upfront, cost nothing compared to european agencies+ everything is available on island peak (fixed ropes, base camp tents, gear rental...)

4. you do need a climbing permit!

Return to Asia