Gear for Narrows

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the great state of Utah, from the alpine peaks to the desert slots. Please post partners requests and trip plans here or in the Utah Climbing Partners section.
no avatar
edge17

Gear for Narrows

by edge17 » Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:58 pm

Hi -
Not sure if this is the right place to post. If it's not, please lmk if another forum is more appropriate.
I'm heading out to the Narrows in Zion for an overnight trip during the first/second week of May. Regarding gear, what kinds of clothing do I need? Wetsuit? Drysuit? Farmer John's? Shorts? Neoprene pants/leggings?

What I've found so far is that a Wetsuit is overkill and a Drysuit gets too darn hot. I've been out there in August in shorts and the water was damn cold, but the air temp was warm so it wasn't too bad.
Rightnow I'm leaning on some waders or farmer johns

Thanks!

Scott
Forum Moderator

Re: Gear for Narrows

by Scott » Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:14 pm

Neoprene pants, neoprene socks, and shoes (you can rent in Springdale) is would be what I would take. A full wetsuit might be overkill. If you are sensitive to the cold though (I never would think of the water cold in August), maybe you might need a little more?

Stu Brandel

Re: Gear for Narrows

by Stu Brandel » Wed Apr 29, 2015 1:24 am

I did the Narrows once in May in 2002 with shorts and fleece with rain jacket. I found the water levels lower in May than in Fall (I did it two other times then ) and that and the longer daylight hours made it less of an ordeal temperature-wise and even pleasant - but that may just be that year. Since you are overnighting, you may place a higher premium on staying dry than we did (daytrips) depending on what you are planning to take with.

Don't forget either trekking sticks or a stout staff. The footing is miserable any time of year (think oily bowling balls in lots of places). I like a hiking shoe with good ankle support for this but most I know like the neoprene boots better. The long immersion does ruin cheaper hiking boots, and even good ones, sometimes.

Return to Utah