Road to Red Lake/Split Mountain Trailhead

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
Ambret

Road to Red Lake/Split Mountain Trailhead

by Ambret » Sat Aug 01, 2015 11:26 pm

I've posted this question on Diesel's Split Mountain trip report but would welcome advice from anyone who has been to the Red Lake/Split Mountain trailhead recently. What is the shape of the road to the trailhead? My friends and I hope to try Split in a couple of weeks, but we've heard that the road is a challenge, and we will only have an intermediate SUV, likely not 4WD. Thanks in advance.

no avatar
willytinawin

Re: Road to Red Lake/Split Mountain Trailhead

by willytinawin » Sun Aug 02, 2015 6:06 pm

It has always been a tough road. I have done it at least three times, but not recently. First time was about 25 years ago, me and a friend got his VW van to the trailhead. It was a real challenge. The second time I was in a Honda civic, I knew I did not have a reasonable chance so I parked at McMurray Mdw, and walked in a straight line more or less, to the TH. That took about one hour, with one small bushy stream crossing (about the same time as it took in the VW). The third time was in a Chevy blazer, with 4wd, and it was the easiest, but still was nervous about all the sharp rocks.

I'd recommend a spare tire, a shovel, and patience. The worst thing that could happen is you have to walk a little extra. The crux as I remember is just past McMurry Meadow, you need good clearance.

DukeJH

by DukeJH » Mon Aug 03, 2015 1:22 am

I've been up twice in the last to years. If you're smart about how you drive and have moderate ground clearance, you should be fine. I don't know what changes may have occurred with recent rains though. In July I made it in a 2008 Subaru Outback. I was followed by a lifted 2WD Toyota Tacoma and stock FJ Cruiser was in the parking lot.

Last August I made it in a stock 2000 Ford F350 crew cab 2WD. It got pretty scratched up by the woody plants along the side of the road because of the long wheel base. I also chewed up my tread because the rear of the truck hopped, spinning my tires on some of the rocks on the uphill on the way out. Last year I saw a Toyota FJ Cruiser with a modified suspension and a Toyota Tacoma pickup that didn't look like anything special.

Ambret

by Ambret » Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:46 pm

Sounds like the road to the Horton Lake trailhead. We did not get the car we had hoped to rent, so we will push this back to next summer's "to do" list. Thanks for the responses.

Return to California