Mount Hood

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Washington and Oregon. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Pacific Northwest Climbing Partners section.
NickBadyrka

Re: Mount Hood

by NickBadyrka » Sun Apr 19, 2015 3:37 pm

I have been up Hood many times, by many routes. I would like to eco EB that any time after early to mid June is too late. The junk typically starts to fall off the top around 9-10 am. Dependent on quantity of rime, temperature and light exposure. Moving quickly and being away from the masses and the rime is your best bet for a safe experience. Personally, I find the masses on the South side route to be the biggest danger, choose a weekday if possible.

The following user would like to thank NickBadyrka for this post
HRS Nomad

Deb

by Deb » Wed May 06, 2015 3:58 pm

Great advice here, now can someone give up current conditions and precip activity? Would love to make the trek up there in the next couple of weeks.

ExcitableBoy

by ExcitableBoy » Wed May 06, 2015 4:55 pm

Deb wrote:Great advice here, now can someone give up current conditions and precip activity? Would love to make the trek up there in the next couple of weeks.

Recent trip report: http://cascadeclimbers.com/forum/ubbthr ... ost1138281

Alpenglow

by Alpenglow » Thu Aug 06, 2015 6:49 pm

Hey everyone!

Is it too late for the Pearly Gates or Old Chute route? Has anyone been up there recently?

johngo

by johngo » Sun Dec 20, 2015 3:40 pm

The Mazamas, a Portland-based mountaineering club, have a nice FAQ on climbing Mt Hood that addresses some of your questions.
http://mazamas.org/activities-events/cl ... -hood-faq/

Regarding a Mountain Locator Unit (MLU), they are ancient technology, and while popular a decade ago, are not really used anymore.
South side of Mt Hood typically has good phone reception, so use your phone if you need a rescue.

Regarding a GPS, get the Gaia GPS app for your smartphone.
It cost $20 for the app, but it essentially turns your phone into a $600 Garmin GPS receiver.

Here's a short tutorial video on how to use it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oi4aUEQj7vU

(about me, I've climb Mount Hood about 30 times by 14 different routes).

no avatar
Hostelman

by Hostelman » Sun May 08, 2016 3:29 am

Anyone who is planning on climbing Mt. Hood can find accommodations at my hostel, Zigzag Mt. Hideaway located 25 minutes from Timberline Lodge in Rhododendron, OR. Call 971-373-3869 for availability or go to airbnb.com and search for availability in Rhododendron and to see pictures. Bunks are $25 and private rooms are $50-70 per night.

The following user would like to thank Hostelman for this post
Deb

Previous

Return to Pacific Northwest (WA, OR)