Good FALL climbs?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the great state of Utah, from the alpine peaks to the desert slots. Please post partners requests and trip plans here or in the Utah Climbing Partners section.
Michael Tilden

Good FALL climbs?

by Michael Tilden » Fri Aug 28, 2015 1:21 am

Hey friends, I just moved to Provo from Idaho and spent the last few seasons in the Tetons. I was wondering which peaks and routes would be good during the Fall out in the Wasatch range? Thanks in advanced.

All the best, Michael

ZeeJay
Forum Moderator

Re: Good FALL climbs?

by ZeeJay » Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:49 pm

All of them are good until it starts to snow. With a modest amount of snow, some moderate hikes are Olympus, Gobblers Knob, and Raymond. A more strenuous hike is South Thunder from Alpine. An easy hike with fall snow would be Grandeur.

The following user would like to thank ZeeJay for this post
Michael Tilden

ridings82

by ridings82 » Fri Aug 28, 2015 11:02 pm

Agree 100% with ZeeJay. Everything in the Wasatch is great in the fall. Only thing I would add is that fall is a great time to climb some of the bigger peaks that are excessively hot climbs in the summer but still see snow into late spring (especially if you aren't into hiking on consolidated snow). The cooler weather and absence of snow make it a good time for those. Ones that come to mind are Lone Peak (the west and south facing approaches near the valley are toasty), South Thunder from Alpine (that dirt road to the first meadow can be brutal in the sun), Box Elder from Alpine, and Provo peak are a few that come to mind. Good luck!

The following user would like to thank ridings82 for this post
Michael Tilden

Michael Tilden

by Michael Tilden » Tue Sep 01, 2015 1:07 am

Awesome guys, thanks a bunch! I was able to do West Slabs recently. Mt Olympus looks like a play ground for Fall. Ill try the other peaks mentioned as well.

All the best,
Michael

Return to Utah