CA 14er for Labor Day Weekend?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
no avatar
tarushbali

CA 14er for Labor Day Weekend?

by tarushbali » Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:50 pm

Hi

Hope everyone is having a great Monday!

Labor Day is coming up and I wanted to take some time during the 3 day weekend to backpack and climb my first 14er. Wondering if it is possible to climb any of those mountains (except White Mountain Peak) since I don't have any permits? Which ones do you think are good mountains during this time of the year? I have some experience (climbed Conness last weekend, climbed Lassen NE face during the winter) but not too much. Since it's a 3 day weekend, I don't mind taking my time to reach the summit. I can camp mid-way but I can't probably do anything that is > class 3.

Thanks a lot guys!

colinr

Re: CA 14er for Labor Day Weekend?

by colinr » Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:13 am

I'm glad to hear you did Conness; of all the suggestions in your other thread, that was probably the most spectacular short hike & moderate drive option. I'd strongly consider not worrying about whether or not whatever mountain you choose this weekend happens to be a 14er, 13er, etc. Those numbers don't always equate to higher quality experiences than slightly lower summits. The other peaks & SPS peaks mentioned in the other thread are still great options. You have a few problems to consider this weekend: 1) Smoke. Where will it be and how bad will it be? I will aim to be somewhere where smoke isn't much of an issue or no issue at all. 2) Competition for backpacking permits on a crowded weekend. 3) Crowds in general. Tahoe will probably be crowded, as will easy trailheads in the Eastern Sierra. Smoke is hard to predict far ahead.

White Mountains would give you an easy 14er without permit quota issues, but unless you scramble extra ridges and hike the Bristlecone Pine groves, it is a dull road hike with a long drive. Views of brown stuff are expansive this time of year.

Mt. Shasta is generally more fun in spring/early summer, but you could do Clear Creek route without permit quota issues. Great mountain! There are fires to the west.

As far as Sierra 14ers:
Permits for Tyndall and Williamson via Shepherds Pass or University Pass might be available and would be worthwhile. Sill/Palisades would be a great area to see, but somewhat technically challenging and popular/crowded. Split might be easiest if you study routes, but research a good spot for a campsite. None of those would be as easy to summit as Langley, which would not be bad, albeit kind of boring. Whitney might be available, especially Mountaineers Route.

Really, besides smoke, it is hard to go wrong if you are flexible, study the permit process on Inyo NF website, walk into one of their offices, and take what you can get. None/Few of the SPS peaks would disappoint. Ritter/Banner Minarets should be on your short list for spectacular scenery, but would be better as far as crowds after Labor Day. I bet you could get a western Sierra permit for something spectacular, but uncrowded like Foerster Peak area from Isberg Pass. Closer to S.F., Matterhorn/Whorl Peak area is scenic and fun.

Deb

by Deb » Tue Sep 01, 2015 3:19 pm

You can bet on some serious smoke backcountry from Independence to Mammoth; we actually had ash falling on us at Taboose Pass on Saturday and of course visibility was extremely reduced. I've heard the Whitney zone isn't bad, as far as smoke...crowds, YES. Plenty of peaks from Lee Vining to Bridgeport to get into without the smoke issue. Trying my luck with some peaks in the Rae Lakes area this weekend, so fingers crossed for at least 50% less smoke than BP/Bishop area peaks.

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Tue Sep 01, 2015 3:25 pm

Camp at horseshoe meadows and do Langley as a day hike

no avatar
fogey

by fogey » Tue Sep 01, 2015 4:53 pm

In addition to peaks already named, Middle Palisade is a 14er worth considering. The South Fork of Big Pine Creek sometimes has permits when the really popular trails don't.

If you would prefer an overnight trip, make yourself a list of possible peaks/trailheads and show up at one of the Inyo permit-issuing stations the first day you're on the east side, when they open or as early in the day as you can--Mono Lake is the closest to SF. It's very likely at least one of your choices will have permits available.

Mt. Abbot would be good if you are willing to to settle for a summit 200-odd feet below 14,000. Rock Creek is a beautiful area. If you can get a permit for the Mono Pass trail you can camp at Ruby Lake or the Mills Lakes and climb from there. If you can't get a permit you can climb Abbot in a day from Mosquito Flat, though with most or all of the snow gone you will have talus to deal with. As class 3 peaks go it is relatively easy.

Tower Peak is also a possibility--not as high as peaks farther south but the highest Sierra peak that far north, a striking peak which is about as easy as class 3 gets. You can pick up a self-issued permit at the trailhead; I'm pretty sure there is no quota for the Leavitt Meadows TH (which is in the Toiyabe NF, not Inyo). Also, you'd be far enough north that smoke would probably not be an issue.

Alpenglow

by Alpenglow » Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:09 am

Hey tarushball!

You can get a permit first come first serve. Just get to the ranger station before 10am to grab a number and get in line. Have 2-3 options (peaks/trailheads) just to be safe!

If you get the first number you're more than likely going to get what you want.

Deb

by Deb » Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:46 am

I can tell you that hikers are cancelling permits like crazy from Independence to Mammoth right now due to the smoke. I even changed my plans since the winds will be picking up Thur into Fri night, that will undoubtedly bring heavy smoke and ash. REAL easy getting a permit for anything other than Whitney Main Trail right now!

Return to California