Everest, the film

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.
Scott
Forum Moderator

Re: Everest, the film

by Scott » Wed Oct 14, 2015 1:48 am

t's a selfish thing at the end of the day. It's not as if he's achieved anything by mountaineering standards. Everest is not worth the risk now, just to say you have 'bagged' it.

Couldn't the same be said of any popular mountain (i.e. your attempt on Blanc)?

I wasn't that impressed with Beck's book, but the above synopsis is contrived.

The following user would like to thank Scott for this post
radson

jdzaharia

by jdzaharia » Wed Oct 14, 2015 4:32 pm

Alpinist wrote:
ExcitableBoy wrote:
jdzaharia wrote:
Also, I was confused by the mention of David Breashears in the movie. Was he on one of the guides or clients?

He was the guy making the IMAX film, so not a client or a guide.

He is the filmmaker for the Everest movie.

Huh? This movie?

Scott
Forum Moderator

by Scott » Wed Oct 14, 2015 8:09 pm

Huh? This movie?

No, this one:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120661/

The following user would like to thank Scott for this post
jdzaharia

MarkDidier

by MarkDidier » Thu Oct 15, 2015 2:56 am

Since the discussion has gotten away from the movie and more about Beck Weathers - according to Left for Dead:

Yes, the Weathers had friends who knew Tom Daschle, Senate minority leader at the time, and he contacted the State Department to get things moving for the helicopter rescue (chapter 9). The pilot supposedly volunteered for the mission (chapter 7).

As for Weathers book, I have read it twice. I wouldn't consider it a mountaineering book in the least. Each time I've read it it seemed more of a biography from primarily Beck and Peach on the impact of his climbing ambitions on their relationship, as well as the impact on his relationship with his children and close friends - as well as his personal transformation afterwards. I personally enjoyed the book, as the real meaning behind it transcends climbing/mountaineering. It doesn't really belong in any mountaineering section of a book store...maybe in the personal relationship/psychology section.

As for the movie, I enjoyed the cinematography, but knowing too much of the outcome couldn't really get into the "plot" development. I hope to watch it again soon so I can get a fresher perspective.

The following user would like to thank MarkDidier for this post
Marmaduke

Damien Gildea

by Damien Gildea » Thu Oct 15, 2015 11:04 am

ExcitableBoy wrote:Yes. Steve Swenson soloed the North Ridge, but never claimed it because there were other teams on the mountain. This is according to Barry Blanchard, said in front of Steve who said nothing to counter the claim.

Steve, who is an absolute legend, would not claim such a thing because he joined Eric Simonson's team (after leaving the Kangshung Face team) and used their gear, though none of their O2, as well as the ropes and ladder. Technically, Barry is wrong, but too big to argue with, and Steve is too polite and accomplished to argue or need to claim such things ;-)

Messner's is the only true solo - no assistance of any kind above BC. Even Alison Hargreaves, whose 1995 climb is closest, used the ladder on the Second Step, though she carried all her own gear and did not use the fixed ropes. At least a few other climbers have carried their own gear, not used O2 etc, and not claimed a solo. It's no longer possible on that route, pre-monsoon, and certainly not on the South Col route. Claiming solo or 'unsupported' on the South Col route is disrespectful to the Sherpas who have risked their lives fixing a route through it.

The following user would like to thank Damien Gildea for this post
radson

Charles

by Charles » Sun Oct 18, 2015 12:12 pm

I saw it the other day. It wasn´t that bad, at least it didn´t annoy me like many Holywood mountaineering films. I thought the 3D was not too over powering and therefore, OK, there was only a couple of shots to get the punters going aaaahhhhh! For me the chain of events which led to the end result were sort of glossed over somewhat - but it wasn´t a training film, so I guess that´s OK.

I thought the last scene where Withers turns up at home to see his wife again a bit of a clanger. I mean, after loosing my hands and nose on a holiday and my wife doesn´t at least meet me at the airport meaning I had to get a taxi (how did he pay?) would piss me off a bit. For the knowledgeable amongst us, did it happen that way?

Marmaduke

by Marmaduke » Sun Oct 18, 2015 4:43 pm

Charles wrote:........ I mean, after loosing my hands and nose on a holiday and my wife doesn´t at least meet me at the airport meaning I had to get a taxi (how did he pay?) would piss me off a bit. For the knowledgeable amongst us, did it happen that way?

My first thought was the movie had it wrong when I watched. My memory is that she was at the airport.

Previous

Return to General