Cerro Chirripó - Reservations

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Mexico, Central America and the Caribbean. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Mexico Climbing Partners section.
Tonka

Cerro Chirripó - Reservations

by Tonka » Sat Oct 03, 2015 7:33 pm

Has anyone recently went through the reservation process to climb Cerro Chirripó? I know it can be a nightmare but I'm getting some conflicting info. I also hear there is an in-country agency now that will get everything in place for a fee of course. I don't want to be stuck for 3 days waiting to get a permit. We'll have 12 days in Costa Rica the end of Dec. Thanks.
Last edited by Tonka on Tue Oct 06, 2015 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Scott
Forum Moderator

Re: Cerro Chirripó - Reservations

by Scott » Tue Oct 06, 2015 1:35 pm

Someone just posted an update correction to the Chirripo page:

The link provided here for the website of the Chirripó National Park is outdated, this is the new official website of the national park: www.parquenacionalchirripo.com
Since recently there is as well a new booking agency that arranges entrance and lodging permits for a very reasonable booking fee. I got to them through Casa Mariposa, this is their website: www.hikingchirripo.com

I'll make sure to update the page even though I did a few months ago. It seems that things change there at the drop of a hat!

The following user would like to thank Scott for this post
Tonka

Tonka

by Tonka » Tue Oct 06, 2015 4:15 pm

Thanks Scott. My own research has basically led me to to the same info but here is a second agency that supposedly books tickets - Chirripo@costaricarios.com.

The rumors about how horrible the permit process is seem to be legendary.

Did you stay at Casa Mariposa?

Scott
Forum Moderator

by Scott » Tue Oct 06, 2015 6:20 pm

Did you stay at Casa Mariposa?

It probably didn't even exist when we climbed the mountain. We stayed in someone's house for $3 near the trailhead. We climbed it in Feb 2004. Back then you would just show up and get a permit and it was no big deal. I still try to keep the page up to date though.

Poncherelo

by Poncherelo » Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:01 am

I have been in touch with Armin, an austrian mountain guide living and guiding there. He can help you fixing the permit issues. Feel free to contact him, he is super friendly ! https://www.explore-share.com/p/779-armin

Return to Mexico, Central America and Caribbean