Locations in Dolomites for Day Hikes

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Europe. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Europe Climbing Partners section.
hate2bogie@aol.com

Locations in Dolomites for Day Hikes

by hate2bogie@aol.com » Fri Nov 06, 2015 5:48 am

We want to hike new areas in the Dolomites. We fell in love with the area last summer when we spent a week in each of 3 places, Val Gardena, Corvara, and Misurina. This summer in July, we want to stay and hike a different area, and would love suggestions. We like 5-7 hr. intermediate level hikes that take us to dramatic areas (for example Jrodnerjoch Jimmy's Hut to Puez...or Sella Pass around Sassolunga, or circling Tre Cime). We can handle 800 meter gain, but we can't do any "official" mountain climbing, just hikes. We will have a car.

I see comments about southern Dolomites saying the mountains are more rounded but good view at the top, which makes me think the hikes might not be as dramatic as I am looking for. When I look for information, I usually find that I am directed to the 3 places I have already been. Surely there must be lots more great places to base with dramatic hikes.

I can't wait to return to the Dolomites.

Silvia Mazzani
Forum Moderator

Re: Locations in Dolomites for Day Hikes

by Silvia Mazzani » Sun Nov 08, 2015 4:39 pm

Hello friend, I don't understand what do you mean with the words "Southern Dolomites". Anyhow if you're looking for outstanding landscapes and dramatic areas, you will find great places and plenty of beautiful daily trails around Falzarego Pass, in Val di Fassa and Civetta Group. In the Dolomites almost all the peaks involve climbing, there are few easy summits: one of these latter is Sassopiatto. You can walk up the summit with 900 meters vertical gain starting from Passo Sella and following "Friedrich August” path. Another easy summit is Piz Boè starting from Pordoi Pass or the beautiful tableland of Lastoni di Formin near Passo Giau.
Good hikes!

The following user would like to thank Silvia Mazzani for this post
hate2bogie@aol.com

bserk

by bserk » Mon Nov 09, 2015 12:36 pm

try the Marmolada together with a guide....challenging day tour!

The following user would like to thank bserk for this post
hate2bogie@aol.com

alpinbeta

by alpinbeta » Mon Nov 09, 2015 6:39 pm

Marmolada is not a walk, can be climbed along the "via ferrata" and the descent involves downclimbing and a short glacier crossing.
Best with a guide if you usually don't climb...in the same area Piz Boè and Sassopiatto are easy trips and give outstanding views!

The following user would like to thank alpinbeta for this post
hate2bogie@aol.com

Gangolf Haub
Forum Moderator

by Gangolf Haub » Wed Nov 11, 2015 9:00 am

Also:
- Bindelweg / Viel di Pan is in the area.
- There is a fantastic loop from Wolkenstein / Selva through Chedule Valley to the Puez Plateau and back through Langental / Vallunga.
- Hirzlweg to the west of Rosengarten / Catinaccio
- Sentiero Attrezato Lino Pederiva in the west of the Marmolada Group from Buffaure.

If you want to go somewhere else:
- Prags / Braies Dolomites in the north with Olanger Köpfe, Seekofel / Sas dla Porta, Dürrenstein / Pico di Vallandro - lots of hiking options
- Fosses and Sennes Plateaus from Malga Ra Stua north of Cortina. The loop around Croda da Lago from Passo Giau, Cinque Torri, Nuvolau and Averau from Falzarego, Laguazoi or Hexenstein also from Falzarego.
- Pale di San Martino in the south (based from San Martino) - easy on the huge Altopiano but a bit difficult if you hike up from the valleys

Also an interesting consideration: look at the Dolomites from the outside
- Cima Bocche / Cima Iuribrutto from Passo San Pelegrino,
- The Carnic Main Ridge from Sexten / Sesto
- Toblacher Höhenweg from Dobbiaco / Toblach
- Anything in the western Sarntal Alps (like Rittner Horn, Villanderer Berg, Kassianspitze

Or outside the Dolomites but very similar
- Brenta Group (obviously)
- Lienz Dolomites in Austria
- Tribulaun Group of the Stubai Alps

There are pages on Summitpost for most of these suggestions so you might want to look them up to see what I'm talking about ;-)

The following user would like to thank Gangolf Haub for this post
hate2bogie@aol.com

Return to Europe