Peak bagging in Africa

Find climbing partners in Africa
atavist

Peak bagging in Africa

by atavist » Thu Dec 10, 2015 3:08 am

I'm planning a peak bagging trip to Africa. I'll fly into Harare, Zimbabwe and travel overland to Durban, South Africa. Then fly to Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. I'm thinking 10 days split for first leg from Zimbabwe to South Africa. Then 4 days in Ethiopia.
None of the peaks are too high, but I don't have a clear idea about access so I still have trouble to plan my itinerary. Below is the countries and peaks with my estimated times to climb each peak. Does anyone have a better estimate or advice?

1 day travel from Harare
Zimbabwe - Nyangani (1 day)
1 day travel
Mozambique - Binga (1 day)
1 day travel
South Africa - Mafadi (2 days)
Lesotho - Thabana Ntlenyana (1 day)
2 days travel
Ethiopia - Ras Dashen (3 days)
1 day travel back to Addis Ababa

kevin trieu

Re: Peak bagging in Africa

by kevin trieu » Thu Dec 10, 2015 6:42 pm

Damn Pat. Did you just get yourself a new drone that's able to zip you around Africa?

Did you go to Mongolia yet? My work contract ends next September and I might pop up there for a peak or two.

atavist

by atavist » Mon Dec 14, 2015 3:44 pm

No, still using airplanes like everybody else. Looking at some other trips that you might be interested in, including Mongolia. Another 6700m peak deep in western China. A 7600m peak in SW China. Plus Iran and Azerbaijan. Let's keep in touch.

I know you climbed Ras Dashen. Is 3 days necessary or sufficient (airport-to-airport)?

kevin trieu

by kevin trieu » Mon Dec 14, 2015 5:44 pm

Yeah let me know how/where/when you going to get an Iran visa and how much. Do these peaks in Western China have name or not yet? I'm also doing initial research into one big peak in Pakistan if you have any interest in that.

Ethiopia probably has the least efficient public transportation of all the countries I've visited. I would say no to Ras Dashen in 3 days. The buses from Abdis to Debark leaves early every morning around 6 but you have to purchase a ticket the night before. I went north after Debark so didn't look at buses going south but I remember it being less frequent. Once in debark you have to go register and get yourself a required scout unless you are up to your usually MO and sneak around which is possible. The whole way is more or less along a road so you can jump on an infrequent/sporadic truck carry local villagers as much or little as you want.

atavist

by atavist » Tue Dec 15, 2015 12:00 pm

Gongga Shan and Bukadaban Feng

atavist

by atavist » Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:43 pm

My tickets are booked. I'll fly into Ethiopia first and have 6 days to climb Ras Dashen and check out the country. Then fly to Harare and travel south to Johannesburg. I'll rent a car and drive to the Drakensberg, then back to Johannesburg to catch my flight back to Shanghai.

Kevin,
What's your big mountain in Pakistan?

kevin trieu

by kevin trieu » Fri Jan 22, 2016 5:41 pm

Pat, one of the G's.

atavist

by atavist » Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:43 am

Trip finished basically according to plan.

Ethiopia - Ras Dashen (5 days), guides mandatory
Zimbabwe - Nyangani (1 day), climbed same day as arrival in Harare
Mozambique - Binga (1 day), amazing scenery, stellar rock in Chimanimani National Park
Swaziland - Emlembe, few hours cross-country trekking
South Africa - Mafadi (3 days), bypassed Leslie Pass, approach via more direct gully
Lesotho - Thabana Ntlenyana (1 day)

Jow

by Jow » Tue Feb 23, 2016 4:12 pm

Are you going to do a trip report in this? would love to read/see this expedition

Return to Africa