Teton Wilderness hike--any thoughts?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Northern Rockies. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Northern Rockies Climbing Partners section.
no avatar
georgia_yankee

Teton Wilderness hike--any thoughts?

by georgia_yankee » Mon Dec 07, 2015 9:13 pm

I have been looking at a possible hike in the Teton Wilderness and thought I'd see if anyone had any thoughts or advice. Start at Arizona Creek TH. To Brown Meadows, Wolverine Creek, Fox Park and Phelps Pass. Then down Falcon Creek to Yellowstone River. Up to headwaters of Yellowstone River and from there across Buffalo Plateau to end up at Brooks Lake. About 85 miles; looking 12-14 days, I guess. Work schedule will probably make me go late July-early August. I’ve been up on the Buffalo Plateau above Bonneville Pass and over to Crescent Mt. Been up Pacific Creek and Pilgrim Creek a little ways but none of the rest of it. Any thoughts on the route? Suggestions for something different? And would it be reasonable to hitch-hike from Brooks Lake to AZ Creek for the shuttle, do you suppose? Thanks.

Bill Reed

Re: Teton Wilderness hike--any thoughts?

by Bill Reed » Fri Dec 11, 2015 9:13 pm

I have been on none of this route other than a little in the Brooks Lake area but since you've gotten no replies in three or four days, I do have some basic thoughts/questions.

Thoughts:
Looks to be a stout trip. Would be advisable to inquire with the appropriate agencies regarding trail maintenance levels and conditions.
Guessing you'll have a higher likelihood of encountering bears than people.
You'll have many water crossings including the Upper Snake and Upper Yellowstone. Might be a few bridges, check with above for detail on that. By late July or August the streams will likely be low but that would be subject to the local weather at the time.
You'll have to walk an extra 5 miles from Brooks Lake to the Hwy unless you can finagle a ride, probably not a big deal since you will have all ready walked 85.
I think your chances for getting a ride from Hwy 287 are pretty good, unless you look like Charles Manson which you just might after 12 to 14 days in the backcountry. :D Better if you're hitching solo, in the daylight. You may have to put the thumb out again at Moran Jnct to get to Arizona Creek and that could be tougher.

Questions:
Are traveling solo?
Tried to plot your route but got lost between the headwaters of the Yellowstone and Brooks Lake. Looks like there's a few different options in there.
Any particular reason you chose this route?

no avatar
georgia_yankee

by georgia_yankee » Sat Dec 12, 2015 9:14 pm

Hi Bill—

Thanks for your reply. You make good points. I’ll be traveling with at least one other hiker. He's never been to WY and is leaving the big picture planning up to me. In case of dire emergency (and because my wife demands it), we'll carry a PLB and pay for the “rescue insurance”. I’ve hiked a lot in bear country so am aware of the risks and necessary precautions.

Will definitely check on conditions beforehand and adjust if necessary. If hitchhiking we’ll leave the car at Brooks L. and hitchhike to the trailhead on Day 1 to avoid the Charles Manson comparisons and leave ourselves plenty of time. Probably drop people and gear at Falls CG or something and one lucky hiker will take car to Brooks L and jog back.

For your questions:

Yes, many routes between Yellowstone R. and Brooks Lake. I have been on several possibilities south and west of Crescent Mt and think I have a pretty good idea of what we’re in for for the rest of that area (hopefully, anyway). Looks like key is to stay reasonably close to Cont. Divide and avoid getting sucked down too far W. Looks like several decent bailout options down to S. Buffalo Fk, if necessary.

Why this route? That implies a rational decision on my end… I’ve been to a lot of places in WY but have seen little of the Teton Wilderness, especially the western part. I’ve looked across large parts of the proposed route from afar and would like to see what’s back there. Also looking for a hike that is a journey itself apart from any particular destinations, even though that sounds really corny.

Thanks for the input. Anyone else have any thoughts?

Bill Reed

by Bill Reed » Sun Dec 13, 2015 5:01 pm

Sounds like a great trip! As always, be very interested to hear how it turns out. Hope the weather and everything else goes in your favor.
Good luck!!

no avatar
kmatjhwy

by kmatjhwy » Thu Dec 17, 2015 3:17 am

Georgia Yankee, This sounds like a Great Great Trip! Now personally I have been all over this country and it is absolutely fabulous! So you are planning on 12 to 14 days for this entire trip .... it is feasible but might require more time because of the length involved. Now you could very well see a number of Grizzlies back in here for Grizzlies in these back areas are quite abundant back in here anymore. Hope you both now what to do in Grizzly Country. The time period sounds perfect.

Now a couple of things on the route .... going up thru Coulter and Wolverine Creeks Area sound be fabulous and wild. Not many people get into this country. Good place for Grizzlies! Also Big Game Ridge is Fabulous and Wild! Then Fox Park is Nice and Spacious and a good place to relax. Last fall I made it from Fox Park to Hawks Rest in the Thorofare over Phelps Pass in one day. Going up the Thorofare and the Yellowstone River Drainage is Fabulous! The headwaters near Younts Peak is Gorgeous and Younts Peak is an easy climb up it's west sloping side. Across the Buffalo Plateau is a nice stroll and several drainages here, one can easily take down to the South Buffalo Fork if needed. Plus the Thorofare near Hawks Rest is Gorgeous and a Great Place for a rest.

The last couple of summers it has been rainy at this time of year but who knows of next summer. I will be in here somewheres myself next summer. In this country you could easily spend your whole summer and not see it all, there is alot of space in here. Great Country! Yes there is about 5 miles of road from the main road up to Brooks Lake but people drive it daily if hitchhiking. There is no shuttles from their to Moran. There is a shuttle in the summer from Jackson to Jackson Lake Lodge to Colter Bay and on up to Flagg Ranch near the South Entrance of Yellowstone ran by Alltrans here in Jackson. Also one more thing on this country, some of this country beyond the major trails does not get much use these days - real good wild country and tons of Bears. Country like it should be - Country like it has always been - Wild and Nice!

Here is a photo place of a few photos of the area by myself ... http://www.reflectionsofthewild.zenfolio.com

For correspondance if interested, you can reach me at my email at kmatjhwy@yahoo.com I am available to answer any questions you might have on this country, And I have been hiking in here all over since 1982.

Wishing you the Best! Kayla (Lone Eagle Woman)

no avatar
georgia_yankee

by georgia_yankee » Mon Dec 21, 2015 12:41 am

Lone Eagle Woman—
Thanks for taking the time to reply. Yes, it sure will be a long trip… Great to hear from someone who has been up Arizona Creek, etc. Does not sound like many people go up that way. Really looking forward to seeing it. I had already stumbled across your photos—they are beautiful—and recognized your signature. I may contact you via email if I have specific questions.

Return to Northern Rockies (ID, MT, WY)