13k and 14k peaks with easiest access in March, April.

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
ajaysomani

13k and 14k peaks with easiest access in March, April.

by ajaysomani » Mon Jan 18, 2016 5:20 am

Hello everyone!

I'm looking to climb Pik Lenin in Kyrgyzstan this summer (July). In order to practice and prepare, I would like to tackle some 13k and 14k peaks in California before then. I'm looking to start hiking these mountains in mid March. A lot of list of 13k or 14k mountains is available here and on various other resources, but all of them usually have a climbing season in summer (starting June etc). Assuming I have a 2WD normal car, I'm looking to find mountains which are accessible starting middle of March or April. I will have no problem with snow on the mountain, but would just like easy access to get to it. Here are the constraints =>

1. Easy access in a 2WD car in starting Mid March to end of May. (The most important thing).
2. Elevation gain of <= 5k feet. Round trip distance <= 15 miles. [This is what I consider reasonable for a day trip, I am not interested in camping on really long routes].
3. Class 1-3 (I have no issues with using crampons or snow shoes, but don't want to tackle technical climbing or heavily cravassed and glacieted mountains, also route founding should be generally straight-forward).

Here are some options that I know of ->
1. Mt. Shasta via avalanche gulch in early May.
2. Mt. whitney if I get a permit, maybe other 13k feet peaks around there (but the trailhead is not really accessible before summer).
3. White mountain (Not really accessible before June, because its a rather long walk to trailhead)
4. Mt. Langley (In winter the road is not plowed, so the access is too long).

Any ideas are highly appreciated. Thank you!

no avatar
grubburg

Re: 13k and 14k peaks with easiest access in March, April.

by grubburg » Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:14 am

well, i've done shasta and whitney. both are over 5,000 ft. gained and over 15 miles, so you can take those off your list...

The following user would like to thank grubburg for this post
clmbr

Dave B

by Dave B » Mon Jan 18, 2016 2:16 pm

ajaysomani wrote:I'm looking to climb Pik Lenin in Kyrgyzstan this summer (July). In order to practice and prepare...

ajaysomani wrote:I am not interested in camping on really long routes.

Perhaps I missed something, but don't these two statements directly contradict one another. I would recommend removing your "no camping" or no "really long routes" requirement in order to adequately practice and prepare for camping on a really long route.

I'm old fashioned, though.

The following user would like to thank Dave B for this post
Norris

Michael Graupe

by Michael Graupe » Mon Jan 18, 2016 7:23 pm

The ones I can think of which would fit your requirements: Mount Abbott, Dade, Mills, Morgan (N) from Rock Creek; Julius Ceasar, Merriam, Royce, Feather from Pine Creek (may have slightly more than 5000ft gain). Mount Gould and University depend how far you can drive up Onion Valley Road.
More options of course if you are willing to stay below 13,000ft or are willing to have more than 5000ft gain.

sierraman

by sierraman » Wed Jan 20, 2016 2:09 am

The problem you have planning day climbs for March and April is the access roads. Depending on the snow pack and climate factors, which can vary wildly, your ability to get up to, or near, the trailheads is impossible to predict. There is no way around this problem, check in again around St. Patricks day.

Marcsoltan

by Marcsoltan » Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:45 am

White mountain (Not really accessible before June, because its a rather long walk to trailhead)

White Mountain Peak can be done with or without a permit any season and access will be very easy. Do the west ridge from Owens Valley. I've done the west ridge in winter but had to camp two nights. You get about 9000 ft of elevation gain on steep terrain that involves some trail, some cross country, snow, ice and rock, and oh yes, solitude. Great training ground !

clmbr

by clmbr » Sat Jan 23, 2016 1:29 am

Here are the constraints =>
2. Elevation gain of <= 5k feet. Round trip distance <= 15 miles. [This is what I consider reasonable for a day trip, I am not interested in camping on really long routes].

Here are some options that I know of ->
1. Mt. Shasta via avalanche gulch => 7,000+ feet elevation gain
2. Mt. whitney if I get a permit => ca 22 miles round trip

Are you sure you really know what you want or you are just making a joke?

BTW, both routes have been done in one day attempt by many (in various conditions).

Return to California