Boot comparison...Arctis Expe/Degre/Baruntse

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
no avatar
saltland

Boot comparison...Arctis Expe/Degre/Baruntse

by saltland » Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:56 pm

Looking to purchase boots for mountaineering coarse for next year in the White Mountains.Unfortunately I'll need to buy online due to lack of dealers within 200 miles.Granted I can return them .That said whats your experiences with the above 3 boots.Price point wise and the fact the boots will only be worn once a year towards the Arctis or Degre(I believe now Inverno).How do the two compare to each other?
I know La Sportiva runs narrow but is nearly $200 more.
I realize what it will come down to is ordering and fitting.No matter which boot I pick my plan is to put them on/strap a pack on my back/and climb up and down some stairs for a period of time figuring a fit issue unfelt just walking around casually will be sorted out.
Thanks for any advice.I know most Guides offer boots free to use with their courses but the idea of midway of developing a serious issue ,fit wise,such as a bad shin rub half way through a Mt Washington ascent would be horrible if not climb ending.
Scott
PS .my feet and ankles are narrow/thin...if that helps at all.

no avatar
GuyNC

Re: Boot comparison...Arctis Expe/Degre/Baruntse

by GuyNC » Tue Jan 26, 2016 3:44 pm

I started out with Degre's a few years ago and sold them after getting Baruntse's last year. The Baruntse's are much more comfortable to walk in despite being a little bulkier and heavier. Both have heat moldable liners to help with fit. The Baruntse's are a warmer boot - I am guessing similar to the Arctis Expe - which might be a consideration depending on your future plans. I never experienced shin rub with either.

The following user would like to thank GuyNC for this post
saltland

Return to Gear