RMNP: August or September?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the U.S. Rocky Mountains. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Colorado Climbing Partners section.
cbeats

RMNP: August or September?

by cbeats » Sun Jan 31, 2016 7:29 pm

I'm looking to go on my first family camping and hiking trip out West this year. We decided on just doing a week in Rocky Mountain National Park to keep logistics relatively simple with a 1 year old. My question for the locals/folks who have visited often: should we try for a week or two before Labor Day or a week or two after Labor Day? I've read some posts saying that September might actually be more crowded than late August because of the foliage/elk viewing, but looking at the National Park visitor stats it seems like August still sees higher use than September: https://irma.nps.gov/Stats/SSRSReports/Park%20Specific%20Reports/Summary%20of%20Visitor%20Use%20By%20Month%20and%20Year%20(1979%20-%20Last%20Calendar%20Year)?Park=ROMO

I have no idea if a) that link worked, or b) if I should be looking at another site that's more up-to-date, but hopefully I'm not radically wrong about any of this.

Would love to hear any opinions out there on the ideal time to visit - thanks!

Scott
Forum Moderator

Re: RMNP: August or September?

by Scott » Mon Feb 01, 2016 1:57 pm

The weather is typically drier in September, but up high if it does snow in September, it can stick around for longer. As long as you aren't climbing Longs Peak, it should be an issue. I'd go in September.

The following user would like to thank Scott for this post
cbeats

Bill Reed

by Bill Reed » Mon Feb 01, 2016 3:29 pm

I live about an hour away from the Park and go there alot. It's kind of a 6 of 1 or half dozen of another thing.

August is vacation time and the Park will be crowded for sure. In August, visitors will tend to be more spread out over the Park-Bear Lake, Trail Ridge Road, etc.

After Labor Day a greater percentage of visitors tend to be from Colorado and weekends are a zoo. The focus shifts more toward Moraine Park, the Elk rut and aspen viewing toward the middle of the month. Competition for camping sites at Moraine Park is fierce.

Depending on what kind of camping you're planning on doing, August will be more reliable for warmer temps that you might prefer camping with a 1 year old (especially if you're in a tent!). September weatherwise could be nice or it could snow.

You can avoid some of the vacationers by going after Labor Day and if you go, say the 1st week after Labor Day you might miss some of the Elk/aspen viewers as well. That's when I'd shoot for.

The following user would like to thank Bill Reed for this post
cbeats

cbeats

by cbeats » Thu Feb 04, 2016 3:03 am

Thanks for the advice all! Won't be trying Longs Peak or anything too intense with a passenger in the kiddie backpack but I was debating bringing my rock shoes and potentially combining a hike with some bouldering. However, the impression I'm getting is that it's real helpful in most of the bouldering areas to have a pad or two and I'm not particularly interested in trying rent one.

So I doubt this magical unicorn exists but if anyone knows of moderate (aka super easy) bouldering with a short approach hike and good landings, let me know. Even if bouldering doesn't happen I'm looking forward to getting out there with the fam - thanks again everyone!

Return to Colorado