Four Peaks - lone pine trail head

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Great American Southwest. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Southwest US Climbing Partners section.
Bradnohio

Four Peaks - lone pine trail head

by Bradnohio » Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:22 pm

First off, yes I recognize I'm talking about the of Feburary 2016 so there is ice and snow

I'm looking to attempt Browns Peak last week of February, I will have 4x4 with modest ground clearance, smaller SUV. Which route do I stand the best chance of making it to the trailhead for Browns Peak Tr 133, Over four peaks to lone pigeon or across EL Oso? I will be coming from Apache Junction?

I recognize that weather plays a roll during that time!

Those of you that frequent the area I appreciate your input

Thanks in advance
Brad

mstender

Re: Four Peaks - lone pine trail head

by mstender » Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:04 pm

Right now there is no snow on Browns but you never know until the end of February. I have done it in December and there was no snow, temps in the mid 40s at the trailhead in the morning and warm and sunny at the top but cool in the chute. As far as the road goes, you should have no problems getting to the trailhead on the standard road from the West. It's a maintained dirt road that just gets rutted due to heavy traffic; it's not that bad. I have driven the El Oso road in a sports sedan.
You might want to check back on the weather as we get closer to the date. I can see the Four Peaks from where I live.

Tonka

by Tonka » Tue Feb 02, 2016 6:27 pm

The main road off the Bee-line is not that bad. We rented a Wrangler and found we really didn't need it. Your bigger issues, if you have them, will be ice in the chute.

surgent

by surgent » Thu Feb 04, 2016 6:01 am

We had a fast-moving storm just pass through and there is snow on the Mazatzals down to about 5000 feet. It's very pretty. Assuming no more storms, it will all melt, except in shaded spots such as the main gully.

You may be able to get up from the north slopes, up thick brush and some rock scrambling.

I want to add that the road to the crest is usually "decent", but in winter, with moisture and remnant snow, sections may be in bad shape or very muddy. The road up from the other side off of AZ-188 near Roosevelt lake is usually better.

Return to Southwest (AZ, NM, NV, TX)