Suggestions for climbing areas

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Canada and Alaska. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Canada and Alaska Climbing Partners forum.
no avatar
zeroism

Suggestions for climbing areas

by zeroism » Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:22 am

I'm planning a trip to Canada later this year and looking for some suggestions of places to climb and even some routes.
I'm mostly looking at mountaineering and alpine climbing, but also rock climbing. I haven't been to Canada before and looking for some tips on places I should research further.

Old School WB

Re: Suggestions for climbing areas

by Old School WB » Sat Feb 06, 2016 5:18 am

Heh there. Canada is a very large country (2nd largest in the world) with many great locations for a variety of climbing. Could you be more specific about location? Alberta, British Columbia and the Yukon Territory have the most accessible and most established alpine routes. Other areas do have fine alpine climbing. The Canadian Rockies in Banff and Jasper National Parks have many of the most famous Canadian alpine climbs, as does the Coast Range north of Vancouver. If interested in the Rockies check out Dow Williams alpine climbs lists, it provides an excellent overview.

Cheers

no avatar
zeroism

Re: Suggestions for climbing areas

by zeroism » Sun Feb 07, 2016 8:13 am

Thanks, I have been going through Dow Williams list and marking up locations on a map. I have been mostly looking into British Columbia and Alberta as I think I'll be based in BC to begin with.

Return to Canada and Alaska