Crossing Amphu Lapcha/Labtsa/Laptsa North to South

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Asia. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Asia Climbing Partners section.
no avatar
Dreamingof8a

Crossing Amphu Lapcha/Labtsa/Laptsa North to South

by Dreamingof8a » Fri Nov 27, 2015 7:38 am

Hi,

I am planning a trek in the Khumbu area and came across Amphu Lapcha pass (or Labtsa as some people call it). Usually it's crossed from South to North en route from Mera Peak to Imja Tse. However I would be going the other way, coming from Imja Tse.
Has anyone done this pass? How accurate are the descriptions which mention rappeling and fixed ropes - are those permanent fixed ropes? Since we would be going without porters or guide, we need to make sure that we can handle our backpacks across the pass .... I also saw a youtube clip of the final meters, going up a short steep section of ice. Would this be the most difficult bit?

Cheers!

no avatar
Dreamingof8a

Re: Crossing Amphu Lapcha/Labtsa/Laptsa North to South

by Dreamingof8a » Fri Nov 27, 2015 7:58 am

Okay, after searching for different keywords i found some more info such as the page about The Hongu Valley.
A lot of useful information there!
Any first hand experience and especially the opinion of a not-only-trekker-but also-climber would be great; I think that many of the description about how difficult treks or climbs are (for example the headwall of Island Peak) are written from a trekkers point of view and not so much someone with climbing (rock and ice) experience ....

no avatar
Hisham

Re: Crossing Amphu Lapcha/Labtsa/Laptsa North to South

by Hisham » Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:47 am

How'd you go? I am planning on this course in latter 2016, although supported by Sherpa and crew.

I have heard that there is exposed walking climb (may need safety ropes), and then a 40-50 metre 70 degree climb up to the top of the pass in ice/snow.

Return to Asia