BlackDiamond Mission reviews?

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
no avatar
Migolito

BlackDiamond Mission reviews?

by Migolito » Thu Apr 14, 2016 8:09 pm

Hi folks, I'm a nooby so bare with me. I'm looking at gear for winter/basic mountaineering treks-non technical stuff. I'm narrowing my pack list down a little. This BD mission line looks pretty decent to me. I'm actually looking at the 55, but, it looks like the 75 will compress fairly small. This will not be a technical pack, I'll use it for winter treks. Has anyone used these packs? Impressions? How well do they carry weight, etc. BTW, I'm also looking at the Cilo 60l

http://blackdiamondequipment.com/en_US/ ... TMD_1.html

beean

Re: BlackDiamond Mission reviews?

by beean » Fri Apr 15, 2016 1:23 am

I have a 75, previous gen without the kangaroo pocket. It's a good pack. Get the 55, I think the volume is over estimated, the lid of the 75 must be nearly 20 litres plus a huge body.

The pack carries weight as well as any other pack I've used. I've loaded it with up to 30kg before and the suspension didn't collapse. I use mine for base camp treks or winter camping with the girlfriend (apparently I've gotta carry most of the stuff).

It's a good pack, recommended.

The following user would like to thank beean for this post
Migolito

infinityjellyD

by infinityjellyD » Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:08 pm

I have the new version of the 75L. I got it late this winter and so haven't used it yet for any big outings, so I defer to beean's firsthand experience above. But I can confirm what beean said about it being very large---at least as large as any other 75L pack I've seen or used. Plus, there is a significant overfill sleeve. Nice back, btw.

WillP

by WillP » Thu Apr 28, 2016 5:50 am

I bought one of these (the Mission 75L) for a two-week alpine climbing trip, having seen someone using one on a previous trip, and thinking it looked pretty lean and mean. I was sorely disappointed.

I just can’t understand the thinking behind the presence of a number of features. For example: the side-access zip – extra weight, possible leak-point, extra seams, and unnecessary structural weakness. And the fiddly metal bar and elastic cord axe-attachment system – you’re stuffed if the elastic breaks; it’s tricky to thread the bar through certain tool heads, especially with thick gloves on.

Equally, I can’t understand the absence of other features, specifically pockets on the side at the base, for carrying tent poles, snow stakes, hiking poles, etc. without constantly worrying they’re going to slide right out from under the compression straps. These pockets are also great for an accessible water bottle if you don’t like hydration hose systems, and don’t want to stop and take off your pack every time you want a drink.

I guess these are all personal preferences, and I acknowledge it is light and simple. But the weaknesses I list are things I should’ve considered before buying it, so if they matter to you, keep looking.

Return to Gear