monch acclimatising

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Europe. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Europe Climbing Partners section.
no avatar
bigcat

monch acclimatising

by bigcat » Sun May 01, 2016 6:26 pm

Hi, in late june i plan to solo the south east ridge of the monch,but dont fancy staying in the hut.My plan is to get the first train up and climb to the half way point on the ridge or there abouts and return back down to sheidegg where i will be staying, then return the next day and weather permitting go for the summit.I know this will be expensive but have already took this into consideration,the main thing being do others here think this will be sufficient for acclimatising for this peak.

no avatar
Flachlandtiroler

Re: monch acclimatising

by Flachlandtiroler » Mon May 02, 2016 5:26 pm

bigcat wrote:Hi, in late june i plan to solo the south east ridge of the monch,but dont fancy staying in the hut.My plan is to get the first train up and climb to the half way point on the ridge or there abouts and return back down to sheidegg where i will be staying, then return the next day and weather permitting go for the summit.I know this will be expensive but have already took this into consideration,the main thing being do others here think this will be sufficient for acclimatising for this peak.

I understand you go up by train to Jungfraujoch, climb half the route (that is, from about 3400m to about 3800m?) and return next day for a second try?! :shock:

Sorry, but if you manage to climb up to there on first day, you also may negotiate the last meters. IMHO.
The only thing to be avoided is overnighting in the Monchsjoch hut, as this guarantees a headache -- at least...

edit: Alternatively, save the money for Jungfraujoch on the first day an climb the Rotstock. This is a via ferrata starting at Station Eigergletscher / Kleine Scheidegg (where you can stay the night) and, snow and weather permitting, leading up to 2663m. This is perhaps not sufficient for a 4k peak, but better than nothing. Next day you step out of the bed into the train and go for Mönch :)
It is not so easy to find easy 3k peaks around Grindelwald, Lauterbrunnen and so on.

no avatar
bigcat

Re: monch acclimatising

by bigcat » Tue May 03, 2016 6:09 pm

Yes i get what your saying,i will see how i feel at around 3800m and if im feeling strong i will continue,thanks.

Return to Europe