Mt Agassiz vs Long Pine Peak

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
no avatar
yang

Mt Agassiz vs Long Pine Peak

by yang » Sun Jun 26, 2016 5:29 am

Hi,

I am not a technical climber. I only hike. I did Long Pine peak before and I am thinking to hike the Mt Agassiz from Bishop Pass. I know it is class 2 or 3. Can someone tell me comparing to Long Pine peak, how challenging Mt Agassiz is?

Thanks,
Yang

colinr

Re: Mt Agassiz vs Long Pine Peak

by colinr » Sun Jun 26, 2016 9:43 pm

Go for it! That hike is worthwhile even if you fail to summit and is great terrain for gaining experience relatively safely. It is class 2, but can become class 3 depending on which chute you are in. If you start up and don't like what you find, you can backtrack/traverse until you find an easier way.

Aim for the huge boulder (at least ~15 feet tall and wide) near the base of the west slope of Agassiz. Head upslope from the boulder into a banana shaped talus chute that arcs from right to left. Generally, heading to the west slope soon after ascending the switchbacks and then up from the huge boulder will bring you to the easiest class 2 chute, while continuing to the Bishop Pass/SEKI NP sign or farther south past a round tarn toward Agassiz Col, Mount Winchell, and Thunderbolt Pass would place you closer to class 3-5 chutes. Some of these chutes have class 2-3 sections that are more solid than what is considered to be the easy/standard chute. Besides the summitpost pages, there is some additional discussion of various chutes here:http://www.scaruffi.com/travel/palisade.html

no avatar
yang

Re: Mt Agassiz vs Long Pine Peak

by yang » Mon Jun 27, 2016 12:45 am

Thank you very much, Colinr! The information is very useful. I will try and see how it goes.

no avatar
yang

Re: Mt Agassiz vs Lone Pine Peak

by yang » Mon Jun 27, 2016 1:57 am

Hi Colinr,

One more question for you. I am studying the maps in the link you attached. I saw the route 1A, 1B, 2A, 2B. Do you happen to remember which one was the one you recommended?

Thanks again!

Marcsoltan

Re: Mt Agassiz vs Lone Pine Peak

by Marcsoltan » Mon Jun 27, 2016 3:03 pm

yang wrote:Hi Colinr,

One more question for you. I am studying the maps in the link you attached. I saw the route 1A, 1B, 2A, 2B. Do you happen to remember which one was the one you recommended?

Thanks again!

About twenty years ago my wife and I did the 1B chute and found it reasonable. My wife is not a technical climber and she was able to negotiate the steep parts with no problem. On the way down the same chute I spotted an even easier way to bypass the short steep section by going far right, then coming back left to pretty much the middle of the chute.

Return to California