PCT shuttle?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
no avatar
sadsappysucker

PCT shuttle?

by sadsappysucker » Sun Jul 03, 2016 8:33 pm

Hi all,

I have a trip on the PCT this week and my ride bailed :/ I'm hiking from Walker Pass to Whitney Portal, so I'm in need of a ride from Whitney Portal/Lone Pine to Walker Pass area (Onyx). Anybody out there willing? I've got gas money and a six-pack with your name on it?

Or, anybody have experience with hitchhiking this area?

Thanks!

hightinerary

Re: PCT shuttle?

by hightinerary » Sun Jul 03, 2016 11:08 pm

You are not allowed to park at Whitney Portal without a Whitney permit these days.

Marlin

by Marlin » Mon Jul 04, 2016 3:01 am

I successfully hitched from Whitney Portal to Lone Pine and back to Reno, NV last summer. Hitching to Lone Pine and along the 395 corridor was easy. I originally planned on taking the bus from Lone Pine to Reno; however, I mailed a "resupply package" for a fellow backpacker in Lone Pine knowing I would miss the only bus traveling north on Monday. Rather than spending another full day in Lone Pine, I began hitching. After you successfully hitch to Lone Pine, dine at a few of the local restaurants, possibly spent the night, try connecting with a 'trail angel' or a fellow backpacker heading south. I wouldn't be surprised if your ride takes you to the trailhead. Good luck on your hike.

The following user would like to thank Marlin for this post
sadsappysucker

fedak

by fedak » Tue Jul 05, 2016 4:54 pm

What Marlin said- you shouldn't have issues hitchhiking. Especially down from the Portal.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
http://www.fedak.net/backcountry.html

Return to California