prominent Sierra Peaks w/o Summitpost pages

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
David Senesac

prominent Sierra Peaks w/o Summitpost pages

by David Senesac » Sat Oct 17, 2009 8:08 pm

Despite hundreds of Sierra peaks with Summitpost pages, there are still a modest number that no one has adopted. And I'm not referring to the large number of unnamed USGS peaks but rather those with USGS names. Every once in awhile I come across one and am sometimes surprised since some obviously have excellent climbing or peakbagging interest. I'd expect all members that explore the mountain listings come across some unadopted peaks so I thought it might be interesting to note here in one thread what some of those missing peaks are and what members think about them.

Two that I stumbled across recently are in the Bear Creek Basin. First is Mount Hooper that I happen to have a 4x5 gallery image for:

http://www.davidsenesac.com/images/04-p6-2.jpg

The view from the top of Hooper is likely quite interesting in late afternoon because the upper South Fork basin has so many lakes below, and then beyond is Seven Gables and the Abbot/Gabb group.

And the other is Recess Peak. Have a number of images of that peak from my old 35mm Kodachrome days that would have to scan to show a pic. Back in 1987 recall camping at the little lakes west of the peak, climbing up on the arete just east, and then rambling out to the fascinating peninsula that juts out into First Recess like a ship with cliffs on all sides. Then on another trip two of us backpacked up First Recess and camped atop that basin's east ridge where we could see the avalanche chutes of Mills Creek Canyon. I'd expect the view from the top of Recess Peak is much better. One unique thing about that peak is because it is unblocked to the west, it receives excellent alpen glow on clear days. The only thing on the web I could find was Bob Burd's trip report

David Senesac Photography
http://www.davidsenesac.com

mjrangel

Unposted peaks

by mjrangel » Sun Oct 18, 2009 7:43 am

I keep thinking about posting one for Mount Lippincott on the GWD in Sequoia NP. I've got lots of great photos but they are in 35mm slide format so I need to scan them to do anything with them these days. The view of the Kaweahs from up there is amazing!

Also, there is Lawson Pk. A very under recognized peak named on the USGS Triple Divide Quad.

MiguelVieira

by MiguelVieira » Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:21 am

No kidding. Check out summitpost's page for the Sierra Peaks Section list. There are dozens of mountains with no pages.

David Senesac

by David Senesac » Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:56 am

1000Pks wrote:I've done a few of those, though I don't wish to get into competition with guidebook authors. There's plenty of peaks on my NS Peaks Guide at my site that no one has climbed to post more here. People can go to my site to read how to climb those, as well as so many others. Just that most of my pix are slides, too, and it's work to scan them. I used to see pretty lousy pages on major peaks, and I never had much happiness with SP. How many are really doing the tops, and not as some prank/joke/humor/what? Not having checked many real registers lately, I wonder about some claims, and seeing how the MLC SC is, doubt a lot of accounts.

Yeah during searching on the two peaks I mentioned and I saw those entries in SPS but those only amounted to simple notes that someone had climbed those peaks. From a listing of all Sierra peaks on USGS topos and listings here on summitpost or any other peakbagger's list, one could easily generate a listings of peaks without pages by combining the list and running a unix uniq command.

SpiderSavage

by SpiderSavage » Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:44 am

This is great. It makes a good excuse to go climb something. Table Mountain on the Great Western Divide looks awesome. Kern Point, there is an insignificant peak. That wall flower will be the last one to the dance.

danmerrick

by danmerrick » Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:29 pm

There was at one time a Mount Hooper page. I know because I created it in 2002. I had climbed it that year via the north ridge from Crazy Lake. I thought it was a fun 4th class climb.

I stripped the page empty and pulled the photos after some whining in the forums about it being a second rate peak. It seems that in those days a peak had to have better status to deserve a page. Looking back, I know now what boobs people can be when posting on forums and should have left it be

thexcat

Re: prominent Sierra Peaks w/o Summitpost pages

by thexcat » Mon Oct 19, 2009 6:52 pm

Mt Baldwin doesn't have a page. Fine peak though!

David Senesac wrote:The only thing on the web I could find was Bob Burd's trip report

Sounds familiar. Thanks Bob! :D

David Senesac

Re: prominent Sierra Peaks w/o Summitpost pages

by David Senesac » Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:37 pm

thexcat wrote:Mt Baldwin doesn't have a page. Fine peak though!

David Senesac wrote:The only thing on the web I could find was Bob Burd's trip report

Sounds familiar. Thanks Bob! :D

Indeed, beyond its crumbly climbing value, it is also a uniquely interesting peak as it's geology is colorful ancient Paleozoic rocks. And its eastern slopes in McGee Creek caynon support what is arguably the most impressive wildflowers of any Eastern Sierra area as well as large stands of quaking aspen. Of course those trailside slopes in early July are very popular with wildflower seekers and photographers as well as autumn leaf seekers at this time of year. Given all the vegetation thereabouts along with a vibrant all year stream, that area is also rich in small wildlife. And given all the rodents, one of the highest Sierra areas at 8.5k that I've come across a rattlesnake. Mount Baldwin lower slopes:

http://www.davidsenesac.com/Gallery_B/06-Z3-1.jpg

Return to California