Pyramid Peak at Desolation Wilderness

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
no avatar
doh

Pyramid Peak at Desolation Wilderness

by doh » Sun Nov 08, 2015 5:04 pm

I'm thinking about taking a trip there late this month or early December. Does anyone who have experience with this peak know if both crampons and ice axe are necessary? I know it's stated as recommended equipment in the SP page, but since it's still relatively early in the winter I'm wondering if it'll be different. It'll be my first time in the snow (if it has any at that time) and just wanted to get an idea of what to expect. Thanks!

no avatar
Palisades79

Re: Pyramid Peak at Desolation Wilderness

by Palisades79 » Sun Nov 08, 2015 5:40 pm

Ski & skins up Rocky Gulch from the Hwy.50 turnout west of Twin Bridges is faster than walking up & down. I've seen ice-climbers on the vertical section of the South Face summit only once in the last 20 years. There is usually only a snowpack on the West ridge to the summit blocks. My Suunto altimeter reads 4500 ft on the ascent on that route. The Twin Bridges trailhead route leads up to a broad open ridge that is also a good ski descent. You could get by with ski poles but you would be post- holing an awful lot without skis or snowshoes.

no avatar
doh

by doh » Wed Nov 11, 2015 4:58 pm

Thanks for the response.

My plan was to start at the Lyon Creek trailhead and head towards the peak, passing Sylvia Lake on the way there. Given that our group is relatively new to this, I figure this route is the easiest in terms of technical skills required.

fedak

by fedak » Wed Nov 11, 2015 5:14 pm

Is Lyon Creek TH accessable in the winter?
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
http://www.fedak.net/backcountry.html

no avatar
powderjunkie

by powderjunkie » Thu Nov 12, 2015 1:26 am

Yes, there is already snow up in Tahoe.

You won't be able to access lyon's creek TH. When you can, it is a relatively easy scramble up to the low west ridge of Pyramid from Sylvia Lake, then trudge east up the ridge to the summit. would be smart to have crampons and axe. it would be a long day and probably a good amount of night hiking.

This could be the year to wait for a good snow pack down to Highway 50, then access from the Twin Bridges TH.

if this is your first time in the snow I would highly recommend doing something way easier and less committing with no avalanche hazards and people around.

no avatar
Palisades79

by Palisades79 » Thu Nov 12, 2015 3:25 pm

Take a look at the CalTrans live cam at Twin Bridges.

no avatar
doh

by doh » Fri Nov 13, 2015 12:39 am

Thanks all for your input.

I checked with ranger station and it'd appear the road leading up to Lyon's Creek TH is most likely closed. My next option is to go up via the Rocky Canyon route. I have ice axe and crampons, but was told I need snowshoes. What do you all think

Is Pyramid Peak not recommended for first time in snow? From what I read, it seems do able but I could be wrong. Do you have any suggestions for a different climb around this time of the year in the snow? Goal is to do Shasta sometime in the future, so really this is all to get myself ready for it.

spapagiannis

by spapagiannis » Fri Nov 13, 2015 2:49 am

Well, I believe what others are getting at is not whether you are able to - but is it inherenty safe to do so with the known objective hazards right now. The Tahoe snowpack hasn't even really settled in yet. And being a (steep) canyon puts you right in an avy terrain trap. It only takes abour a 30 degree slope to avalanch. It would probably be advisable to wait a bit longer until the snowpack grows and stabilizes. Snowshoes (flotation) probably would be advisable - postholing is an unpleasant experience.

This is not to deter you entirely. But, there is a lot more to consider with snow travel than just the gear and ambition alone. "What you don't know can in fact hurt you".

I highly recommend more gentle hills areas for snowshoeing now - get gear figured out, general snow travel, and awareness of surroundings. Donner summit has some good areas, as does Mt Rose on/near Tamarack Peak, Echo summit area.

no avatar
doh

by doh » Fri Nov 13, 2015 4:45 am

Thanks Spapagiannis.

I'm aware of safety hazards, but I guess I overlooked the fact that avalanche danger is high for the moment.

I've already begun looking at a more gentle hill, and I'll check out your recommendations. What are your thoughts on other closer peaks such as Ralston or Mt Tallac?

spapagiannis

by spapagiannis » Fri Nov 13, 2015 5:48 am

Ralston from the South ridge could probably be okay (Camp Sacramento area I think?). Tallac I'm not so sure I'd recommend from the Tallac TH to the North. Approaching from Echo Summit might be okay up the gentler slope. Be aware of possible cornices. Tallac's terrain shape from south to north is pretty textbook cornice terrain. My overall opinion is to use caution this early in the snowpack - everythings going to be relatively loose and unstable.

no avatar
doh

by doh » Fri Nov 13, 2015 5:54 am

Thanks again. I'll look into Ralston. I'll probably call the ranger station a few days before.

no avatar
powderjunkie

by powderjunkie » Fri Nov 13, 2015 7:32 pm

doh, my comment was based on your statement that it will be your first time in the snow.
I don't know if I'd be looking to bag the tallest peak in the crystal range for a first outing. ;) or using axe and crampons with no experience.

yes to what spapagiannis wrote

get some snowshoes
if you're looking to bag peaks-

talking mountain from the echo snowpark is a safe and easy peak along the ridge, little round top from red lake peak snowpark has good views is easy but is a slog, donner peak and castle peak can have some route finding difficulties but are relatively easy/moderate peaks. tamarack would be a good one.

ralston can be safe if you have some avalanche and slope awareness and experience,it is a slog from camp sacramento, tallac is big and not a good first outing

Here's to a good snow season. :)

no avatar
doh

by doh » Sat Nov 14, 2015 7:39 am

I'm leaning towards Ralston Peak, or just a simple hike to Horsetail Falls.

Given that Ralston is south-facing, I wonder how much snow there is now, I'd have to call to ask. Anyone have any suggestions for camping spot for an overnight trip? It doesn't seem like too much around for an overnight trip, which is why I'm considering just doing a trip to Horsetail Falls and save the peak for next time.

no avatar
powderjunkie

by powderjunkie » Tue Nov 17, 2015 7:11 pm

plenty of places to snowcamp around Tahoe - echo lakes, eagle creek canyon, maggie's peak, carson pass

the hike to horsetail will only take a couple hours and may not get you the snow travel experience that you are looking for and may not even have any snow at all

south face of Ralston may start melting out and there is a lot of mazanita down low

if you want to have an easy overnighter and travel on snow to a quiet beautiful area with a peak and views - go to Red Lake Peak Snopark and take the PCT out to the Meiss Hut/Meiss Lake area. camp there and bag little round top or go bigger and bag Red Lake Peak from the west.

no avatar
doh

by doh » Sat Dec 05, 2015 6:28 pm

Just as an update. I was able to check in with ranger and found that conditions were good for Pyramid Peak, so I ended up summiting the peak from Rocky Canyon trail. It was an absolute blast and took an overnight camp to reach it (trail was so much steeper than I thought). Found myself slipping a few times on the way down and had to self-arrest which was pretty fun. Thank you all for the help and advice in this thread!

Return to California