Questions for Aconcagua vets

Regional discussion and conditions reports for South America. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the South American Climbing Partners section.
Damien Gildea

Re: Questions for Aconcagua vets

by Damien Gildea » Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:19 pm

Any weather information I got last time I was there - from rangers, 'guides' or anyone else - was totally unreliable and essentially useless. Eventually I ignored it and we summited in beautiful weather, only us on top, in late February.

Aside from the problems with any distant forecast, there are the added problems of language differences and general 'Chinese Whispers' by the time any info goes through three or four mouths to your ear. Rely on judgment, experience and planning. Any good weather forecast is just a bonus you never expected, and will only value if and when it comes true.

Brad Marshall

by Brad Marshall » Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:57 am

Watch the barometric pressure and on summit day if it is windy and snowing don't be afraid to "stick your nose in it" and give it a try. You can always turn around and wait for another day but you'll kick yourself for missing out on a fantastic day. The weather often gets better after you start out.

gnorgel

by gnorgel » Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:38 pm

ok, thanks!

Previous

Return to South America