Rab alpine bivy or OR helium bivy

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
no avatar
turkbrim9

Rab alpine bivy or OR helium bivy

by turkbrim9 » Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:15 pm

I need to get a bivy fot a summer mountaineering trip. I am looking for light as possible. Both of these are around 18oz. I have no experience with bivys. I would think the Rab would be a little more breathable being 3 layer event. However, it does not have a pole to keep the bivy off your face. Is this not a big deal or is it worth getting a bivy with a pole to keep it off your face? Also, the alpine bivy has no bug netting. I have read the OR bivy has a few issues with condensation, but if you vent the opening around 5 inches it helps. It seems that no matter what the material all bivys seem to have condensation issues. Anyway, any feedback would be great.

beean

Re: Rab alpine bivy or OR helium bivy

by beean » Thu Jul 09, 2015 11:31 pm

What's the goal? Region? Expected conditions?

I've got a borah gear m90 bivy. It's windproof, very breathable as it doesn't have a full face covering, and water resistant. If it's going to rain, I bring a tent or tarp.

You could probably stitch a loop above the hood of the rab bivy if doesn't have one. You can string a line from a trekking pole or axe or bit of gear to keep the bivy off your face.

no avatar
turkbrim9

by turkbrim9 » Fri Jul 10, 2015 2:51 am

Grand traverse, in Grand Teton National Park. 10 summits in 3 days. End of July. Could be near freezing at night. Daily afternoon. Storms are always possible

ExcitableBoy

by ExcitableBoy » Fri Jul 10, 2015 2:36 pm

If you are in the market for a lightly used bivi sac, I have a Bibler I would sell. It is yellow, constructed from Todd-Tex (Gore-Tex), weighs about 18 oz., and has a zip in mesh insert. The sack came with a plastic hoop in the 'brim' which I removed because it did not work at all. One could use a piece of stiff wire to shape the brim, but I simply would put my pack inside above my head to raise the fabric off my face. I am thinking about $80 shipped.

Email Daniel-p-smith@hotmail.com if interested.

cagatay

by cagatay » Thu Oct 29, 2015 1:00 pm

bivys are like coffins. it sucks your positive mood and energy.. if I were you I would consider a light solo tent. If it was a 1 day hike/climbing, I would say "go for it", but considering you will spend at least 3 days and more than 12 hours a day in a bag! you will feel depressed.

couple years ago I had a ferrino bivy hl (semi bivy/semi tent) and once I had to spend more than 2 days in it, god it was like I was trapped inside, eventually I cancelled the expedition and returned home.

In a tent, you can sit, you can cook, you can read/write, stretch your body, you can pee.. in my opinion, bivy's are appropriate for fast climbing and emergency situations.

Return to Gear