Rainier July 2015

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Washington and Oregon. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Pacific Northwest Climbing Partners section.
mrchad9

Re: Rainier July 2015

by mrchad9 » Sat Jul 27, 2013 4:26 pm

Let me try to break it down for you ExciteBike... The driver for those guide's decision making on the DC route is to schlep lemmings up the mountain and get them back to camp early enough so they GTFO before the next set of clients arrive the same day. At least that is the case for anyone they deposit on Camp Muir. That's about it. It isn't about teaching them anything... It's about turnover.

Are you an unemployed scientist by some chance? Because you seem to get caught up in individual components of what someone is saying and not understanding what folks are really talking about.

ExcitableBoy

by ExcitableBoy » Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:16 pm

mrchad9 wrote:Let me try to break it down for you ExciteBike... The driver for those guide's decision making on the DC route is to schlep lemmings up the mountain and get them back to camp early enough so they GTFO before the next set of clients arrive the same day. At least that is the case for anyone they deposit on Camp Muir. That's about it. It isn't about teaching them anything... It's about turnover.

Are you an unemployed scientist by some chance? Because you seem to get caught up in individual components of what someone is saying and not understanding what folks are really talking about.

Clearly your vast experience climbing and guiding on Rainier is superior to mine. I mean, you've climbed Rainier what, once? Obviously you are an expert in such matters. And what is with ExciteBike? Is that supposed to be some kind of slight? I fully understand what you are talking about, I am saying you lack the experience and perspective to make an intelligent argument. As for how good you felt sleeping in, you should preface that by saying you spent three days acclimating at Camp Muir. You may have been singing a different tune if you had tried a Seattle to Seattle climb of Rainier in under 24 hrs as is typical with locals.

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:58 pm

Alright. Enough of your continued insults and hate tactics. You've done it here and spread it into other threads. I only pointed out for the OP that most of the guides have other objectives, but you turn it into some sort of personal hissy fit.

Keep playing your games.

ExcitableBoy

by ExcitableBoy » Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:21 pm

I was thinking the exact same thing about you. Hate tactics? Insults? Hello kettle, this is pot, you're black.

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:27 pm

Go back and read how this began. Same with how you pitched a fit about folks not paying fees to the USFS that numerous courts have determined to be illegal.

Sure I'm not as cozy with the guides on Ranier as you claim to be. But I am sure you are more objective. Carry on.

The following user would like to thank mrchad9 for this post
ExcitableBoy

BigMitch

by BigMitch » Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:53 pm

Merchad9 is way out of line here.

As always, Excitableboy is completely right and is owed an apology.

nefarious_1_

by nefarious_1_ » Sat Aug 03, 2013 12:58 pm

Wow, thanks for the generous responeses from everyone! I've been busy with work the past week so I haven't had a chance to get back, but it's great to have so many opinions for my prospective trip!

The more I've been reading about it and gaining information from more experienced trainers/climbers (spoke with EMS school and put a call in to AAI) I'm thinking even next summer 2014 will be possible for a summit attempt. In terms of fitness goals and prepation, it seems a year is more than enough time to get into shape so long as I stick to a strict workout schedule and take a couple preparation classes over the winter, which I'm willing to do. Of course, sign-ups for next year start soon so I'm currently mulling it over and deciding if I'm ready for the commitment (I'm leaning towards yes!)
In the meantime, I'll continue to educate myself and keep perseverance at maximum levels. Thanks again guys and if you have any other advice, feel free to submit.

no avatar
GuyNC

by GuyNC » Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:53 pm

Like the other poster I am planning to do this for the first time in 2014. I have plenty of hiking and trekking experience but not climbing.

I have been comparing the different courses on Rainier and looking closely at either AAI's 8 day program and RMI's 6 day seminar. I imagine the 8 day would cover certain topics in more depth, but 6 days would be easier to schedule into my life. AAI sounds highly regarded by just about everyone while online feedback about RMI seems more mixed. Has anyone here taking either one of these programs and could comment or offer advice? Thanks!

Previous

Return to Pacific Northwest (WA, OR)