Really, why DOES this forum exist?

Minimally moderated forum for climbing related hearsay, misinformation, and lies.
MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Mon Aug 24, 2009 3:39 am

I'm not a real climber, but I find a great deal of ambiguity in my reaction to fixed lines and slings that seem to sprout on class 4 stretches these days. I feel they are unethical until I happen upon them in sleet, then I think they are great.

rhyang

by rhyang » Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:46 am

:mrgreen:

lcarreau

by lcarreau » Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:12 am

When you get a group of guys and gals together talking bolts & cracks, I tend to yawn.

But, if it blossoms into a place for rock-climbing chatter, that's cool with me!

I'm still not moving to PnP; that place is an utter disgrace and complete waste of my time.

no avatar
Mihai Tanase

by Mihai Tanase » Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:33 am

Day Hiker wrote:http://www.summitpost.org/user_page.php

Or everyone else's profile URL has numbers after it, and yours just happens to be the ONLY ONE without. :lol:

Who cares ? I'm not here for a number after my URL. Except comments and pictures "me and..." what is your real contribution at this site ? Look at your self first. And shut up!

Day Hiker

by Day Hiker » Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:19 am

:lol: I don't even know where to start with this. Anyone feel like explaining the WWW to someone?

Charles

by Charles » Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:51 pm

Mihai Tanase wrote:
Day Hiker wrote:http://www.summitpost.org/user_page.php

Or everyone else's profile URL has numbers after it, and yours just happens to be the ONLY ONE without. :lol:

Who cares ? I'm not here for a number after my URL. Except comments and pictures "me and..." what is your real contribution at this site ? Look at your self first. And shut up!

Mihai, I think it´s one of those tricks again - like the one a while ago. :wink:

Guyzo

Re: Really, why DOES this forum exist?

by Guyzo » Mon Aug 24, 2009 3:00 pm

MarthaP wrote:
Guyzo wrote:
MarthaP wrote:While I'm sure the best of intentions was considered when creating this forum, it really seems to have degenerated into a bunch of blathering. I'll 'fess up to contributing to that.

But it's looking more like ArCee dot n00b every day, and that's not a compliment. Their community forum was ripe with tangential rip-offs posted by people trying really hard to be clever and cute. It's already the mode d'emploi here and you know what happens once a precedent is set...

It got old reeeeallllly fast. And their Community forum equated to SP's PnP and now Ethics, Spray and Slander as well.

Soooooo, I say we just get rid of the durned thing. Anything unmoderated, regardless of topic, belongs in the skanky version of PnP. Post pics of Boobs galore there (and don't forget Gee DoubleYah as one of them) and I won't get involved in that boyhood slagheap.

This monster really needs to go before it gets more publicly stupid than it already is.

JMHO.
Martha

Marthia.

Looking at your profile and history.....

You are obviously Not a Climber by any stretch of the imagination.

This is interesting - because I don't bother to post/boast my sufferfests here on SP I'm not a climber? I have a lot more going on in my life than crossing my t's and dotting my i's on this website. Like maintaining my own, for example. I suggest before you cast aspersions that you delve a little deeper into my curriculum vitae. I see you don't have a significant amount of information on your profile page either, yet you speak as an aficionado. And we should trust your opinion because...?

Guyzo wrote:No disrespect intended, because everybody on SP at least gets out and suffers some and that will make you one of the tribe. Suffering is something I have a deep understanding of.

One of the things I really love about SummitPost is the wide-open, free flowing discussions we engage in. Real climbers sometimes engage in esoteric discussions and these can become quite heated. Many times folks on SP, who are not really “Climbers” Jump in and complain about the tenor and tone of these posts.

You have completely missed my point. This forum has turned into trash and belies the true spirit and depth of the website in general. It has also gone quite a distance from what I believe the original intent to be. If it's going to continue to take this direction then, as with PnP, it needs to either be moderated to retain its integrity or it needs to be taken off the front page.

Guyzo wrote:I hoped that this would be the place where someone like me, could engage in deep talks with other Rock Climbers about the real serious issues that bind and divide us.

Sure, I'm into deep talks, too. Read my website. Read my blogspot. But I hardly think a series of tangential "my dick is the best" threads will lead to any sort of deep discussion, other than deep throat. Ethics? I'm all about that. Spray and Slander? Something that shouldn't be on the front page and certainly doesn't suggest real serious issues.

As I mentioned above, people who propose ideas that don't go over well often get a little disparaging in their responses. You've proven nothing less.

BTW, Guyzo, you're an asshole. That fits into the slander portion of this programming. Really adds a lot to this forum, eh?

Ge wizz marthia...... I never called you names...but go ahead if you wish, please do blow off some steam.

Oh yea one more thing.... SummitPost, is a place for climbers, hikers, photo-togs, all and any outdoor minded folks to post and share information about stuff. So if you don't put up anything about anything you don't count. As a climber that is...
:wink:
Last edited by Guyzo on Mon Aug 24, 2009 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BeDrinkable

by BeDrinkable » Mon Aug 24, 2009 3:14 pm

I do think this could be an intruiging forum for interesting discussion; out of curiosity though, why is it neccesary for it to be unmoderated?

lcarreau

by lcarreau » Mon Aug 24, 2009 3:44 pm

I already offered to be a moderator, but Martha said it would be making a mistake.

She told me, "What goes around comes around."

(dayhiker:) Anybody feel like explaining the WWW to someone?

Yes, it stands for World Wide Wrestling, right ???

Bob Burd
Forum Moderator

by Bob Burd » Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:45 pm

The idea is to keep non-climbing (i.e, politics/religion/etc) stuff out, so I will be happy to move any such stuff to PnP if I see it or someone points it out (send PM to elves). It's unmoderated in the sense that there is no requirement for the participants to be nice to each other. I've never really understood the passion behind spraying, but it appears to be something that fills a need in some, and entertainment to many others, so who am I to judge?

Guyzo

by Guyzo » Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:53 pm

Ginger... you get it.

Thx

:wink:

BeDrinkable

by BeDrinkable » Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:08 pm

gingerking wrote:PnP is a political forum and the end result of any topic that starts there is either 'boobs', how evil (insert politician/goverment/idea) is, or how gay (insert SP member) is.

maybe im way off base and yes i have been posting what equates to mental garbage on this forum (although the west really is the best) but its not all bad!

I guess I'll return to my earlier point then. Since a number of these threads have indeed devolved into "here's some boobs!" or a low-level insulting of other members, it really doesn't belong on the front page. Nothing unmoderated belongs on the front page.

erykmynn

by erykmynn » Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:53 pm

thoth wrote:
MoapaPk wrote:I'm not a real climber, but I find a great deal of ambiguity in my reaction to fixed lines and slings that seem to sprout on class 4 stretches these days. I feel they are unethical until I happen upon them in sleet, then I think they are great.

I love fixed lines and webbing and slings, they make great free leashes for my pets and tie downs for my truck.

See! this discussion has something to offer for everyone!

BeDrinkable

by BeDrinkable » Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:00 pm

gingerking wrote:
BeDrinkable wrote:Nothing unmoderated belongs on the front page.

really? and why would that be?

By tradition, the front page is for climbing/outdoor threads. Unmoderated threads have a tendency to quickly veer away from those topics. That's why PnP threads do not appear.

Dow Williams

by Dow Williams » Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:14 pm

The climbers I have met for the most part have easily divided into two groups...those to busy climbing to spray and analyze topics to death on the internet...and those who talk more than they climb, thus the need for a forum like this. Keeps everyone sorted out where they are most comfortable.

PreviousNext

Return to Ethics, Spray, and Slander