Recommendations for 3 night trip, early March?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
no avatar
lasoundguy

Recommendations for 3 night trip, early March?

by lasoundguy » Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:46 pm

Just wondering if anyone has a suggestion for a three night snow camping trip in early March? (I am hoping we get snow by then.)

Will be in a group of three, two of whom are reasonably experienced with Sierra winter conditions. Prefer more the southern end if possible, one of our party is down in San Diego.

We'll have snowshoes, axes, and crampons, but I am looking to snowshoe back into something cool, not necessarily go mountaineering.

Any suggestions? I'd love an easy pass or something that isn't likely to be an avalanche risk if we do get snow in the next month, and hoping to avoid having to do the first and last 5 miles (or so) on pavement from the trailhead to the gate where the cars have to stop.

(Previous winter trips include wandering back around Mineral King, the Virginia Lakes area, and heading up to the Pear Lake Hut.)

Thanks in advance for any suggestions, appreciate it.

colinr

Re: Recommendations for 3 night trip, early March?

by colinr » Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:59 am

lasoundguy wrote:
We'll have snowshoes, axes, and crampons, but I am looking to snowshoe back into something cool, not necessarily go mountaineering.

Any suggestions? I'd love an easy pass or something that isn't likely to be an avalanche risk if we do get snow in the next month, and hoping to avoid having to do the first and last 5 miles (or so) on pavement...

Westside, out of Visalia-Fresno area, you might want to research:

1) Dinkey Lakes Wilderness-- significant elevation gain can be somewhat optional, but you may be limited by snow to the trailhead near China Peak Ski resort
2) Kaiser Wilderness/Peak-- nice views if you go high & lakes with decent backdrops lower down a ways in
3) Jennie Lakes Wilderness (Stoney Creek CG TH along General's Highway)-- kinda dull imho
4) Badger Pass/Yosemite/Ostrander-- farther north, busier, and costlier

Then there's the Eastside, where you could wait to see how February plays out and then pick the TH with least pavement walking and safest conditions. A bit far north, but you could likely start on trail from Mono Village/Twin Lakes out of Bridgeport or nearby from Buckeye Campground/Hot Springs (Eagle Peak area). Saddlebag Lake/Twenty Lakes Basin area would be scenic, but likely difficult to access. I'll stop and leave the Eastside areas south of Yosemite to others.

If you get more specific, I could elaborate on some of these ideas (as could others).

fedak

by fedak » Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:21 am

Badger Pass is snowless and closed at the moment :(

The groomed trail to Glacier Point is a great option tho- you can rent gear right at the trailhead, the views once you get about midway are phenomonal, and the grooming makes the risk of back snowpack conditions much less. This is better as a ski thank a snowshoe tho.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
http://www.fedak.net/backcountry.html

Deb

by Deb » Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:34 pm

Onion Valley/Kearsarge Pass if it doesn't snow so much that you're unable to drive to 9500'
Mosquito Flats/Rock Creek again if it sadly doesn't snow much. Right now you can drive to pack station, which gives barely 2 miles on the road.
Truly too soon to say.
San Joaquin Ridge in Mammoth would make a very scenic trip regardless of ground conditions. You will have to walk from resort parking lot but it's not even 2 miles to Minaret Vista and is covered in snow for XC skiing.
I would definitely scratch Cottonwood/Horseshoe, Whitney Portal, Baxter Pass Trail, Taboose, South/North Lake, Pine Creek, and McGee.
Check back mid-Feb. :)

no avatar
lasoundguy

by lasoundguy » Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:13 pm

Wonderful, thanks guys! Great suggestions.

Will check in and solicit a few more suggestions as the date gets closer...hoping for snow!

Return to California