REI Return Policy Amended

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.
mrchad9

REI Return Policy Amended

by mrchad9 » Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:06 pm

In the past you could return items purchased years ago.

Now you only have 1 year...

We stand behind everything we sell. If you are not satisfied with your REI purchase, you can return it for a replacement or refund. Items must be returned within a year of purchase, except items purchased from REI-OUTLET which must be returned within 30 days of purchase.

REI’s guarantee doesn’t cover ordinary wear and tear or damage caused by improper use or accidents.

REI has one of the best return policies in retail, and we remain committed to your satisfaction with everything you buy at REI. We also have a small, but growing, number of customers who stretch our policy beyond its intended purpose. To ensure that we can continue to offer our 100% Satisfaction Guarantee, we're updating our policy: You have one year from purchase to return or exchange any item you're not satisfied with, except items purchased from REI-OUTLET, which must be returned within 30 days of purchase.

Bob Sihler
Forum Moderator

Re: REI Return Policy Amended

by Bob Sihler » Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:27 pm

That sucks but probably makes sense. I've heard of people returning gear they've used for years and worn out and then wanting it replaced. For my part, I've only returned gear that turned out to be defective or poorly made, like a pair of mountaineering boots that fell apart last year with not even 100 miles on them.
"Alcohol is like love. The first kiss is magic, the second is intimate, the third is routine. After that you take the girl's clothes off."

--Terry Lennox, The Long Goodbye (Raymond Chandler)

Buz Groshong

by Buz Groshong » Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:44 pm

Bob Sihler wrote:That sucks but probably makes sense. I've heard of people returning gear they've used for years and worn out and then wanting it replaced. For my part, I've only returned gear that turned out to be defective or poorly made, like a pair of mountaineering boots that fell apart last year with not even 100 miles on them.

Actually it doesn't suck; the old policy sucked because those of us who are honest were paying for those who abused the return policy.

The following user would like to thank Buz Groshong for this post
Arthur Digbee, artrock23, Damien Gildea

DukeJH

by DukeJH » Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:06 pm

Buz, I agree. I've seen gear at REI garage sales that is totally worn out or has clearly been abused and is inoperable.

Kiefer

by Kiefer » Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:07 pm

Meh.
A few bad apples ruins a bucket of good ones.
Bound to happen.

Sadly, I know folks who've returned gear after a few YEARS.

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:26 pm

image.jpg
haters
image.jpg (129.99 KiB) Viewed 10991 times
Last edited by mrchad9 on Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

brichardsson

by brichardsson » Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:39 pm

i am of a mind that if you haven't figured out within a year that your new toy is defective, you pretty much give up the right to gripe.

having said that, i have returned my fair share of rei items. interestingly enough, always well within one year. but maybe that's because i don't abuse the policy.
Don't try to argue with idiots. You aren't the dumbass whisperer.

Josh Lewis

by Josh Lewis » Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:23 pm

Darn, think of all the hiking boots I could have returned after using them for a bit. :lol: In all seriousness I completely understand their stand on limiting it to a year. I'd say that's enough time to test out the gear and see if it has a fair life time.

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:27 pm

I returned a pack after 8 years after the ice ax loop fell off.

Got a brand new one back and had $17 left over.

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:28 am

Out here, the return policy is massively abused. People buy REI boots or nylon pants expecting to return them when they wear out. Careful people pay for the slackers.

norco17

by norco17 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:59 am

Note to self: abuse gear sooner from now on.

sm0421

by sm0421 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:13 am

I went to a garage sale where you have bicycles in really bad shape being returned after 3 years...I was like WTF!?

Bob Sihler
Forum Moderator

by Bob Sihler » Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:16 am

Buz Groshong wrote:
Bob Sihler wrote:That sucks but probably makes sense. I've heard of people returning gear they've used for years and worn out and then wanting it replaced. For my part, I've only returned gear that turned out to be defective or poorly made, like a pair of mountaineering boots that fell apart last year with not even 100 miles on them.

Actually it doesn't suck; the old policy sucked because those of us who are honest were paying for those who abused the return policy.

It sucks because those of us who don't abuse the policy now lose out if there's a legitimate issue. But again, I see why REI has done this since so many people were abusing the system. The company must have been losing a lot of money because of this.
"Alcohol is like love. The first kiss is magic, the second is intimate, the third is routine. After that you take the girl's clothes off."

--Terry Lennox, The Long Goodbye (Raymond Chandler)

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:31 am

REI has a 100% markup on many full priced items. At least they do on Mountain Hardware clothing and gear (I have access to MH wholesale gear at times).

So if you buy a sleeping bag for $200, use it for many years until the zipper breaks and then return it and get another, REI still comes out ahead. REI pays $100 for the first bag, gets the NPV for your full payment up front, account for inflation, and they are still ahead even after paying the next $100. Add to it the other gear you pick up and don't return and its apparent why they haven't come close to running out of business no matter how the economy is doing.

And utilizing a policy isn't taking advantage. When companies take tax breaks and use offshore accounts they are simply doing what they are supposed to do... it's specifically allowed.

Tonka

by Tonka » Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:45 am

mrchad9 wrote:REI has a 100% markup on many full priced items. At least they do on Mountain Hardware clothing and gear (I have access to MH wholesale gear at times).

So if you buy a sleeping bag for $200, use it for many years until the zipper breaks and then return it and get another, REI still comes out ahead. REI pays $100 for the first bag, gets the NPV for your full payment up front, account for inflation, and they are still ahead even after paying the next $100. Add to it the other gear you pick up and don't return and its apparent why they haven't come close to running out of business no matter how the economy is doing.

And utilizing a policy isn't taking advantage. When companies take tax breaks and use offshore accounts they are simply doing what they are supposed to do... it's specifically allowed.

There is no excuse to rip off a company because you think they make too much profit. REI is a very well run company compared to most and with your last comment I presume you have no issues with large companies taking advatage of all and every possible tax loophole?

Next

Return to General