Welcome to SP!  -
Areas & RangesMountains & RocksRoutesImagesArticlesTrip ReportsGearOtherPeoplePlans & PartnersWhat's NewForum

Report Bugs Here

Suggestions and comments about SummitPost's features, policies, and procedures. Post bugs here.

Re: Report Bugs Here

Postby lisae » Tue May 13, 2014 7:49 pm

Bob Sihler wrote:
How large is the file? Do you have a new camera with lots of MP?

Yesterday I was trying to upload photos from an 18 MP camera, and I kept getting a blank screen. Then I remembered the maximum upload size on SP is 8 MB, so I downsized the photos and they uploaded just fine.

Thanks so much! I didn't think about the size of the file. I'll check that.
lisae

Postby Mark Doiron » Mon May 19, 2014 9:07 pm

Perhaps I'm remiss in not trying to use the new editor. Well, truth is when it first came out I tried, and there was nothing to edit. I couldn't place my cursor somewhere and type to make the simple changes I needed to make, so I decided I wasn't interested in it--working the HTML or whatever was just easier. I could place my cursor somewhere and type and what I typed appeared on the screen. But, I now see that the table on the U.S. National Parks list for the parks has lost all of its white space. Yes, the code is still there, but it makes it very difficult to find what I need to edit when everything is just all smooshed together. :-( Anyway, is this permanent? Should I just resign myself to using something that which some find "easier"? Thanks, guys. I know you're doing your best to improve SP and I do appreciate that.
Mark Doiron

Postby rgg » Tue May 20, 2014 4:34 am

Mark Doiron wrote:I now see that the table on the U.S. National Parks list for the parks has lost all of its white space. Yes, the code is still there, but it makes it very difficult to find what I need to edit when everything is just all smooshed together. :-( Anyway, is this permanent? Should I just resign myself to using something that which some find "easier"?

The new editor has a certain features that some might call bugs, and one of those is that it removes what it deems to be unnecessary white space in the HTML code. I like the new editor but don't like that feature either, but that's what happens. I don't consider this particular case a bug though, because HTML is all about tags, and in a lot of cases white space in HTML is meaningless. Consequently, if an editor that renders HTML removes meaningless white space, it doesn't change the meaning of the HTML. I mean, unless you look at the underlying HTML, your list still looks the same, right?

Perhaps it's possible for Matt to tweak the editor somehow so that this doesn't happen anymore in the future, but now that it's gone, it's gone. The only way to avoid this feature is to use only the old editor - but obviously that's too late for your list now.

If it's not too inconvenient, in the future you could just edit the table in the new editor and don't look at the underlying HTML. Alternatively, when updating the list, you could copy and paste the HTML code into an HTML editor that displays the table as a bunch of tags and their content, but with a readable layout (a so-called "html object editor" can do that), make your changes in there and copy and paste the result back. A third option might be to keep a backup on your own computer with the HTML of your table, including all the white space just the way you want it, and whenever you want to edit your page, edit it off line and only then copy the new version into the SP page. In fact, apart for albums, I make backups of all my pages. You never know what might happen to a page in the future.
rgg

The following user would like to thank rgg for this post
Mark Doiron, Montana Matt

Postby Mark Doiron » Tue May 20, 2014 1:38 pm

Thanks, rgg. I was editing in the old editor only when the white space was lost. I'll make do. Appreciate the suggestions.
Mark Doiron

Postby John Duffield » Wed May 28, 2014 11:04 pm

John Duffield

Postby ZeeJay » Sat Jun 07, 2014 4:16 pm

I was trying to add an image but kept getting an obscure error message. It turns out that I had a space at the end of the lat field. So, for instance if I enter "38.41935" everything is fine, but if I enter "38.41935 " it can't handle it. Same thing with the long field. Please either strip spaces at the end of these fields or put up a useful error message.
ZeeJay

Postby Montana Matt » Tue Jun 10, 2014 5:45 pm

Thanks for pointing that out ZeeJay. All fields should have been being stripped of white space, so I made that change. Let me know if it works now and if you notice anything else that doesn't work as expected, as sometimes happens when a change is made.
Montana Matt
Site Admin

Postby Matthew Holliman » Sun Jul 06, 2014 5:28 pm

Searching for mountains by distance to a city has recently started giving errors along the lines of "Could not geocode eugene, or", e.g.
http://www.summitpost.org/object_list.p ... bject_name
Matthew Holliman

The following user would like to thank Matthew Holliman for this post
Montana Matt

Postby Montana Matt » Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:29 pm

Thanks for reporting this Matthew. Should be fixed now.
Montana Matt
Site Admin

Postby Buz Groshong » Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:48 pm

What's with the missing icons?
Buz Groshong

Postby Montana Matt » Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:16 pm

Buz Groshong wrote:What's with the missing icons?

To which icons are you referring?
Montana Matt
Site Admin

Postby Buz Groshong » Mon Jul 14, 2014 3:46 pm

Montana Matt wrote:

The icons that are supposed to go before thread titles.
Buz Groshong

Postby Montana Matt » Mon Jul 14, 2014 3:56 pm

Buz Groshong wrote:
Montana Matt wrote:

The icons that are supposed to go before thread titles.

I'm gonna need more details or a link. I have no idea what is being referred to here.
Montana Matt
Site Admin

Postby Buz Groshong » Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:25 pm

When I view the "Site Feedback" list of topics, there is no icon in front of "User name change request" for example. Same is true of "Proposal-submitting or Adopting pages you haven't climbed." This seems to be the case with several topics in at least "Site Feedback" and many in Drivel.
Buz Groshong

Postby Montana Matt » Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:08 pm

The icons in front of the forum categories aren't showing for you? That's weird. It's something on your end but I don't have any guesses as to what it might be.
Montana Matt
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Site Feedback