Welcome to SP!  -
Areas & RangesMountains & RocksRoutesImagesArticlesTrip ReportsGearOtherPeoplePlans & PartnersWhat's NewForum

Report Bugs Here

Suggestions and comments about SummitPost's features, policies, and procedures. Post bugs here.

Re: Report Bugs Here

Postby Montana Matt » Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:24 pm

reboyles wrote:I did all of my work in the new editor with the exception of adding new sections. I didn't see how to do that so I switched to the old editor for that function.

To insert a new section, just click on the "paragraph" symbol and then select "Primary Header". You can see it demonstrated about 25 seconds into the video here:
http://www.screenr.com/Ey47

And I'm happy to hear that you were able to do most of that page with the new editor!
Montana Matt
Site Admin

Postby Josh Lewis » Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:29 pm

reboyles wrote:At one point the page switched into what looked like Dreamweaver with the split screen for editing. I don't know how I did that.

Matt, any idea what this is. Sounds interesting. :) Probably out of the bounds of the editor, but I'd love it if there was a mode to have one side code and the other display. 8)
My Websites: Alpine Josh · Alpine Ascent · AceMaps
Josh Lewis

Location: Lynnwood, Washington, The Cloudiest Place on Earth, United States

Postby Montana Matt » Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:16 pm

3Deserts wrote:Can we PLEASE have this infernal bug fixed already that arbitrarily logs users out for no reason, especially when trying to post a reply?

I'm guessing you're talking about getting logged out of the forums? I've not had that happen yet. Until someone can explicitly list the steps under which it happens and I can recreate the problem in order to debug it, I'm not going to spend hours and hours looking for a solution to something that is solved easily enough by logging out and logging back in.
Montana Matt
Site Admin

Postby mrchad9 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:20 pm

It used to happen to me all the time, but now it is less than once/month, if even that often. Yeah hard to fix something you cannot recreate.
mrchad9

Postby Montana Matt » Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:27 pm

3Deserts wrote:Matt, the problem may be easily solved by logging out and back in, but in reality that's not a reasonable solution for the problem.

I never said it was a solution to the bug. But it is a solution for posting in the forums, which is the ultimate goal. I can't really debug something that can't be recreated.
3Deserts wrote:I've never had this happen on any forum I've ever been on, as long as these forums have existed.

The problem originates due to the fact that we have 2 logins on this site. One for the forums and one for the main site. The cookies that are set for each of the logins is different and thus they can expire at different times. However, the code is set to make them both expire at the same time. Somehow the forum cookie is expiring early for some people in some cases, but I can't replicate that and thus I haven't been able to fix it.
Montana Matt
Site Admin

Postby mrchad9 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:17 pm

Why does my Mount Agassiz page say zero votes, when it actually has 30 something?

http://www.summitpost.org/mount-agassiz/150921
mrchad9

Postby Montana Matt » Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:57 pm

mrchad9 wrote:Why does my Mount Agassiz page say zero votes, when it actually has 30 something?

No idea. Did you try deleting it yesterday when you were testing out the new code change to prevent deleting objects with signed climbers logs? I can't see any problem with the code there though so even if you did, that may not be the cause...
Montana Matt
Site Admin

Postby Montana Matt » Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:59 pm

There aren't any votes in the database at all. I just voted and the page score changed. So however the votes got deleted just happened today after the update_scores script ran last night.
Montana Matt
Site Admin

Postby mrchad9 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:18 pm

No. I didn't try deleting it. I wouldn't have risked that.

Great... I reworked a popular page and now the score drops by over 20%
mrchad9

Postby Montana Matt » Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:41 pm

I'm trying to recover the votes now. I'm not sure what happened...but that's the bigger issue really.
Montana Matt
Site Admin

Postby mrchad9 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:53 pm

Montana Matt wrote:I'm trying to recover the votes now. I'm not sure what happened...

Thank you. That would be nice. Reworking pages is becoming to be incredibly frustrating.

Similarly I've been thinking it would be good to develop something to properly feature pages members reworked. Not just the typical take over and update, but if they really rebuild something almost from the ground up. Like Vitaliy is doing with the Libery Ridge page. That page was empty but already had tons of votes (assuming they don't vanish). Still it would be good to spotlight the effort. He's putting more into it than he needs in order to 'own' it. It would be better to do something beyond the typical run-though on the featured list of the front page, but I am not sure quite what yet (a front page runthrough for Liberty Ridge for example doesn't really accomplish anything... most wouldn't realize it was reworked, and it doesn't need more votes).

To do this the members would show what the page looked life before and after and it could be recognized appropriately if there was a huge overall to it and not just minor additions... at least 50% or some higher amount of new content.

There should be more incentive for reworking a page like that, because it definitely is more of a pain and less appreciated (underrecognized) in most every case.
mrchad9

Postby Montana Matt » Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:59 pm

Got the votes restored from last night's back up. Did you do any editing to that page today? I'd really like to track down the cause of all of the votes disappearing.

I like the idea of featuring reworked pages. SP is at a point in its life now where there are many pages that could use improving or that need to be completely reworked. It's a ton of effort and, as you say, goes mostly under-recognized. I'd be happy to implement something to feature reworked pages if an idea of how to do so is clearly laid out.
Montana Matt
Site Admin

Postby Josh Lewis » Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:20 pm

Hey Matt, here's an idea that's been on my mind for a while. In the advanced search it would be great if you could sort between featured and non featured. Advantages to this:

1. Members could easily find featured pages on their side of the world. Hence they get to easily see quality pages.

2. This would make it easier for elves to find pages to feature. For example I would then be able to sort "highest rated" for "non featured" which would bring up a list of non featured peaks that are well done.

Obviously this could apply to more than just peak pages. And score does not necessarily mean the page is good. But it would certainly help out with finding quality content. :)
My Websites: Alpine Josh · Alpine Ascent · AceMaps
Josh Lewis

Location: Lynnwood, Washington, The Cloudiest Place on Earth, United States

Postby mrchad9 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:21 pm

I will think about something for the reworked pages. An option would be a manual section on the what's new page, or a dedicated area on the home page, or a combination, but I would like to try to think of something better.

Thanks so much for restoring things. That was a really odd occurence. Unfortunately I don't know if it happened late yesterday or during the day today.

I did lots of edits on the page yesterday, using the old editor. To every section of the page and saved it many times. Changed the profile image a couple times, but nothing else outside of the sections. I didn't do anything I hadn't done before on pages many times. Well, I did add an image to the page using the link on the left, and switched to the old editor during that process (I think), when normally I add an unattached image and attach it to the page later (I did this as well). I was using the old editor because on this computer I only have IE7, and the new one doesn't work with a browser that old.

But throughout this process I never noticed the votes vanished. It wasn't until today. I edited the page today, but it was after I noticed it and after you voted on it. So I don't get it. I must have done something unique, but not sure what.
mrchad9

Postby mrchad9 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:28 pm

Josh Lewis wrote:2. This would make it easier for elves to find pages to feature. For example I would then be able to sort "highest rated" for "non featured" which would bring up a list of non featured peaks that are well done.

Just a thought, and it isn't up to me, but this is actually the opposite of what I like to see.

Sometimes I see pages that already have 70+ votes being featured, and I don't see the point in doing this. I don't tend to vote on a featured page when I see that either.

To me a page like that already obviously has great visibility. Far better to feature good pages that have the lowest scores possible. I would much rather see a great page with 10 votes featured than a jawdropping page with 70 votes featured. When I look for old articles this is what I try do... scan through the lowest rated articles to try to find something good. Of course the pool to wade through is far smaller. But I found a couple.

A jawdropping page is swell to have every now and then, but the pages are more interesting when a diamond in the rough is found, and more effective.

EDIT: Also, the tool seems to be a benefit for the elves, rather than the members, and I tend to favor things that really provide benefit to the largest audience. Unless of course it is easy to do.
mrchad9

PreviousNext

Return to Site Feedback