Report Your Screen Size

Get HTML help, style input, and feedback on your pages from other SP members.
vancouver islander

by vancouver islander » Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:39 pm

1280 x 1024

Coincidently FortMental wrote me a very nice (and tactful) PM this morning on the issues he's raised earlier in this thread.

I really would like to provide readers with pages that look nice and read easily regardless of screen size - by using tables or whatever. But I'm a total html dweeb. Any code I use is on a monkey see, monkey do basis. I can do tables but have no idea how to use them to achieve the aim that FM suggests.

I've tried searching SP archives for some kind of simple process but I'm a search dweeb too and have had no success.

So, dear SP-ers, is there a simple process I can undertake to convert all my 100+ TR's, mountain, route etc pages to a format that you can all read without having to scroll, independent of your screen size and that's not going to keep me busy for the next month?

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:42 pm

VI: find a page that behaves in the way you want, then right click on it and pick "view source" (that's the PC route). Then you get to see what other people did with html, to achieve that effect.

vancouver islander

by vancouver islander » Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:13 pm

MoapaPk wrote:VI: find a page that behaves in the way you want, then right click on it and pick "view source" (that's the PC route). Then you get to see what other people did with html, to achieve that effect.

Sounds like monkey see, monkey do. Just my cup of tea. Thanks!

chugach mtn boy

by chugach mtn boy » Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:19 pm

MoapaPk wrote:VI: find a page that behaves in the way you want, then right click on it and pick "view source" (that's the PC route). Then you get to see what other people did with html, to achieve that effect.

I'll be darned. For for the html-impaired like VI and me, these are the most informative 2 lines that have ever been written in SP!

23north

by 23north » Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:28 pm

If you use Google Analytics it will provide you with the screen resolution of your visitors.

vancouver islander

by vancouver islander » Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:36 pm

chugach mtn boy wrote:

I'll be darned. For for the html-impaired like VI and me, these are the most informative 2 lines that have ever been written in SP!

Well, don't get too excited. I just did precisely this with one of Nanuls' pages - a member whose work I particularly admire. What I got caused a combination of fright and eyes-glazing-over :? Didn't help at all.

I may know what tables in html are and I can use them to centre images etc on a page but I have no idea how to use them to make a page independent of the viewer's screen size.

Think I'll just stick with my usual "This page is set up for and best viewed at a screen size of 1280 x 1024 pixels"

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:41 pm

vancouver islander wrote:
chugach mtn boy wrote:

Well, don't get too excited. I just did precisely this with one of Nanuls' pages - a member whose work I particularly admire. What I got caused a combination of fright and eyes-glazing-over :? Didn't help at all.

I may know what tables in html are and I can use them to centre images etc on a page but I have no idea how to use them to make a page independent of the viewer's screen size.

Think I'll just stick with my usual "This page is set up for and best viewed at a screen size of 1280 x 1024 pixels"

I forget who I first heard it from, but I've found MoapaPk's tip helpful on several occasions. Some things I've snagged from "view source" are on every page I do.

If helps to do a find and search on a word of text that you are looking for, then it is easier to extract what you are after.

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:55 pm

BTW -- is there a way to embed html code in BBCode, so we can use non-implemented BBCode features (e.g. strikethrough)? I realize that embedding html is probably a big security issue.

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:30 pm

vancouver islander wrote:
chugach mtn boy wrote:

I should add: when the source page comes up, hit <ctrl A> then <ctrl C>, open a blank text file, and insert the text with <ctrl V>. Then save the text file and peruse it at your leisure.

Previous

Return to Page Help